Post 1

Technology in the Classroom: Good or Bad?

By Megan Roberts

Male student working on a computer

As time passes it is clear that technology is becoming a bigger part of our daily lives. With apple watches connected at our wrists and Alexa Echo’s in every room, I am questioning if this technology is more helpful or hurtful to our students’ learning experiences in the classroom. Over my time of working with students I have seen both negative and positive reactions of students working with technology. I have positively seen students gain an excitement for learning through their skills and experiences of working with an iPad or computer. However, I have sadly seen a negative affect of students becoming addicted and possessive with technology materials. Through my observations and personal experiences I have come to the conclusion that technology is a wonderful resource for a classroom when used in an appropriate context. George Couros says, “Technology will never replace great teachers, but technology in the the hangs of great teachers is transformational.” Technology can allow students to work collaboratively, creatively, and efficiently. When students view it as an every day tool just like a pencil and paper, they begin to learn how to use it for it’s full potential to help better their learning experiences.

Quote