Academic Support

On Tuesday I took my first midterm at OSU. On Monday I attended my first tutoring session. I had a gap in between my morning and afternoon classes, and I found a nice shady picnic table out on the oval to sit and study, and took a little study break to visit the dinosaurs in Orton. After a late biology lab I ran across the street to where NeuroPsych tutoring was held. This was a completely different setting than my 9:30 class.

Even though I had missed about half of the tutoring session because of my lab I still immediately got some one on one attention to my specific questions. The notes  supplied to us through Carmen cram so much information into slides and videos.While my professor has many resources for our class, they are all designed by him, and it was so helpful to hear someone else explain what I had been struggling with.

Since it was the day before our exam all of the tutors were prepared to teach us for the exam. Now that I have taken the exam it seems like my professor had given the tutors hints about what we would need to know to succeed since they went over many topics that I referred to when I was taking the midterm.

My biggest takeaway from this actually had nothing to do with the class, but my learning style. I always took notes on paper in high school, and using my iPad seems so much easier and faster. Yet using a paper and pencil during tutoring reminded me what was so nice about it. I drew my own diagrams, focusing on each individual part of them and taking in all the information being given to me. Since this midterm covered so many similar receptors and elaborate concepts it was integral that I truly understood and were able to distinguish between different processes.

While Psych tutoring is cut in half because of my lab, I did really enjoy the tutoring session, and will look into tutoring for my other classes.  It was helpful to receive one on one attention, get concepts explained to me by someone new as well as the ability to work at my own pace.

This tutoring session was extremely helpful since I am always very tired during class since I have to wake up early for ROTC. We also go through about eighty power point slides of material that are overwhelming in such a short period of time. These two things have made the class seem very overwhelming to me, and I have struggled to learn the material.

Tutoring was something that I had inherently not wanted to do. However I was able to get taught in a way similar to how I was taught in high school, and it felt like I absorbed information much more successfully during tutoring than I do in class or studying on my own.