Education Abroad

Program Overview

Italy: Food and Sustainability Studies

The FSSP is a semester-long, interdisciplinary certificate program open to all students with an interest in food and sustainability. It is particularly well-suited to those hoping to cultivate a career in the food or environmental industries or seeking to continue their education at the graduate level.

Each thematic course includes a series of co- and extra-curricular activities that are an integral part of the curriculum; they include guest lectures, site visits, field trips, culinary activities, research projects, and other hands-on experiences. These activities allow students to directly observe the concepts studied in the classroom and analyze issues surrounding food and sustainability in an Italian and global context from varied perspectives.

Pre-Departure Reflection

Prior to departing for an entire semester abroad, I was incredibly nervous. How did I pack four months of clothes into one suitcase? How would I adjust to living in a new country where the primary language wasn’t English? Who would my roommates be and where were they from? Would I be homesick?

I had so many questions that could only be answered by getting on a plane and beginning the program in Italy. Initially, I was uneasy about my decision to spend a semester abroad, but while on the program, this mindset immediately changed and I knew i had made the correct choice.

While Abroad Reflection

The first thing I remember experiencing in Italy was massive jet lag accompanied by me wondering if I was doing things correctly, according to Italian normalcies. Adjusting to the six-hour time difference was a challenge and when I tried to contact my family, accounting for it was a challenge. It made me realize just how far away from home I really was. While my brain was foggy from a confused internal clock, I found myself wondering if I was saying words with the correct accent, picking up produce at the grocery store correctly, or hopping on the right train. I had taken an Italian class before departing, but in Perugia, an uncommon tourist destination, everything is in Italian. There were very few translations, and having to figure out what was being said from cultural cues allowed me to become more comfortable with my Italian skills by the end of the semester. The language piece was the biggest obstacle I had to overcome while living in Perugia, but it was the most humbling and the most rewarding. Just when I was feeling confident in my Italian skills, I forgot the Italian word for “bag” at the grocery store (you have to pay for grocery bags in Europe and they’re made of corn, not plastic). Even after intensive Italian courses, I couldn’t think of it. I tossed my groceries in my tote and rushed out, only to remember that it’s “busta” as soon as I stepped out of the supermercato. By the end of the semester, I was comfortable getting on a train to any destination and even made a restaurant reservation over the phone in all Italian (without mentally translating before, I might add).

It turns out that one suitcase is more than enough for four months, and the shopping in Italy was so fabulous that I really should have started a fresh wardrobe there. If I engaged with my surroundings, I would learn Italian and learn to use it well. My roommates were amazing and one became my best friend. And lastly, I was homesick but now, I’m homesick for Perugia.

After Return Reflection

After returning home from Perugia, I began to see my own culture differently. I was more in tune with the differences between life in the United States and life in Italy. I also became better at packing lightly. During the semester, I traveled throughout Italy, to Paris, Ireland, Prague, and Amsterdam. Most of the time, I only packed a small backpack. Prior to these experiences, I had always been high maintenance, but these travels taught me that you can have bigger experiences with a smaller suitcase. Additionally, I feel more engaged with the world and that I have a better understanding of what makes each culture unique.