In honor of Ohio State’s sesquicentennial anniversary, The Ohio State University Press just published a collection of essays – Fulfilling the 21st Century Land-Grant Mission: Essays in Honor of The Ohio State University’s Sesquicentennial Commemoration, edited by Stephen M. Gavazzi and David J. Staley.
My essay in this collection, Ohio State as a 21st Century Urban University, discusses the major issues facing an urbanized world, laying out a broad agenda for urban scholarship and outreach. I also discuss the scientific revolution occurring in urban science, enabled by new data sources and powerful technologies such as geographic information systems (GIS). I also make a case for Ohio State as an urban university, reviewing the evolution of Ohio State’s capabilities in urban scholarship and outreach. I conclude my essay with a discussion of Ohio State moving forward as an urban university: why Ohio is a good setting for urban scholarship, and the role that Ohio State can play in this new era.
On July 29th, I participated in a webinar on the Impacts of COVID-19 on Mobility, organized by The Ohio State University College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Engineering and the OSU Alumni Association. The recording is posted below. Very interesting discussion; worth watching!
Faculty and industry experts have a conversation about the potential implications of COVID-19 on the design of our communities and various modes of transportation including air travel, personal vehicles, public transit, micro-mobility and ride-hailing services.
- Chris Atkinson, Director, The Ohio State University Smart Mobility Program
- Jennifer Clark, Professor and Section Head, City and Regional Planning
- Harvey Miller, Reusche Chair in Geographic Information Science; Director, Center for Urban and Regional Analysis
- Sophia Mohr, Chief Innovation Officer, Central Ohio Transit Authority
- Stephanie Morgan, Executive Director, Air Transportation and Aerospace Campus
- Giorgio Rizzoni, Center for Automative Research, Ford Motor Company Chair, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering