I am honored and pleased to be appointed to the Board on Earth Sciences and Resources (BESR) at the US National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine. The BESR oversees a wide range of Earth science issues, including research, the environment, natural hazards, resources, geographic science and geospatial information, and data and education. It also provides guidance on U.S. participation in international Earth science programs.
I am looking forward to some very stimulating conversations and activities.
I am honored and excited to be appointed to a second term as chair of the Mapping Science Committee of the U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine.
The Mapping Science Committee organizes and oversees National Research Council studies that provide independent advice to society and to government at all levels on geospatial science, technology, and policy. It also addresses aspects of geographic information science that deal with the acquisition, integration, storage, distribution, and use of spatial data. Through its studies, the committee promotes the informed and responsible development and use of spatial data for the benefit of society.
We have a excellent committee for the 2021-2023 term – accomplished scientists, professionals and leaders in the field, spanning a wide range of geospatial science, technologies and applications:
- Harvey Miller, chair, The Ohio State University
- Stewart Fotheringham, Arizona State University
- Oceana Francis, University of Hawai’i at Manoa
- Hendrik Hamann, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
- Kristen Kurland, Carnegie Mellon University
- Marguerite Madden, University of Georgia
- Keith Masback, Plum Run, LLC
- Kathleen Stewart, University of Maryland
- Eric Tate, University of Iowa