Academic Plan Goals: Amanda Micklo
- Global Awareness: Honors students will examine what it means to be global citizens and will cultivate and develop their appreciation for diversity and each individual’s unique differences. Students will examine the world’s complex, independent systems, as well as their own cultural backgrounds.
To achieve the goal of global awareness, I hope to study abroad during my time at Ohio State. Hopefully, I can spend some time during a study abroad opportunity researching or earning academic credit too. Furthermore, I plan to become involved with the student organization MedLife that sends students on medical brigades all across the world, fundraises for sustainability projects abroad, and does community service locally. Also, I am highly interested in the Buck-I-Serve trips offered over winter break, spring break, and the summer. These trips send students on mission trips across the country but do offer trips outside the country. I hope to attend a trip both in the United States and outside the country to perform mission work.
- Original Inquiry: Honors students will understand the research process by engaging in experiences ranging from in-class scholarly endeavors to creative inquiry projects to independent experiences with top researchers across campus and in the global community.
I am excited to involve myself with research in the near future. By using the resources Ohio State has to offer, including the Undergraduate Research Office, I plan to engage in research whether in a wet lab or completing clinical work. I will aim to explore research opportunities to focus in on a lab that fits my aspirations, both career oriented and simply subjects that interest me. As a culmination of the research I plan to complete at Ohio State, I hope to present at a Poster Forum.
- Academic Enrichment: Honors students will pursue academic excellence both in and out of the classroom. Students will use the Honors Contract to construct purposeful and intellectually stimulating programs of study.
By completing the Honors contract and truly taking the time to reflect on how these next four years will proceed, I hope to further my ambition to achieve this goal. As of now, I am planning to major in Health Sciences with a minor in Biology on a pre-PA track. The course load that accompanies this plan is challenging but quite exciting. I am ready to take on these courses, such as Organic Chemistry, Anatomy, and Physiology, and shape the student I am to achieve my goal of entering PA school and becoming a Physician’s Assistant. I will consistently check with my advisors, both major and honors, to make sure I am on track to success and partake in activities to further my education such as pre-med clubs, volunteerism, and more. It is highly important for me to continue to cultivate skills outside the classroom through extracurricular activities. Thus far, I have joined the Pre-Med club, WIMS (the Women in Math and Science club), and MedLife. I believe these three clubs provide me with a strong start to involve myself outside the classroom.
- Leadership Development: Honors students will build on their educational experiences to become leaders in society and the world. Students will pursue co-curricular activities that allow the students to cultivate leadership skills and competencies.
At Ohio State I wish to grow as a leader and explore my leadership skills. With such a diverse student body, there is always more to learn from other students and campus organizations. I am a current member of Buckeye Twirl, Ohio State’s baton twirling team, and I plan to run for leadership positions within the team. I currently hold the position as co-social chair with hopes of being the team’s official social chair next semester or next fall. Also, I have hopes to join a sorority and involve myself with leadership roles throughout the PanHellenic association. Through my academics, clubs, and activities, I plan to pursue leadership roles to allow myself to grow as a student and well- rounded individual and to also benefit or evolve the organization I am leading.
- Service Engagement: Honors students will build on their educational experiences to serve society and the world. Students will pursue service-oriented activities that are socially beneficial to the community and that contribute to the students’ own learning and development.
I hope to spend time volunteering at Ohio State through Wexner Medical Center, The James Cancer Research Center, or Nationwide Children’s Hospital to broaden by volunteerism while simultaneously working in the hospital environment. Also, I plan to participate and have participated in BuckeyeThon and Community Commitment. Service is something I truly value and intend to involve myself in many service projects here at Ohio State.