Global Awareness: One of my main goals in college is to study abroad somewhere to further my academic and cultural education. Recently I have been hoping to go to Scotland to study in Edinburgh, as the anatomical history and the medical schools that were once in the city have very interesting history, and could help me to see the field of medicine in a new and exciting way. This would allow me to broaden my cultural horizons and experience new and fun situations, making meĀ  more well rounded student and person.

Original Inquiry: I am currently taking Molecular Genetics 2220H, which is a class designed to expose underclassmen to research opportunities within the field of molecular genetics through laboratory tours and staff presentations. So far I have had the opportunity to head over five professors discuss their research, and have been able to engage with them and inquire about their findings. Through this I have gained connections with professors, and could possibly find an undergraduate research opportunity that will set me apart and give me more unique experiences and opportunities in the future.

Academic Enrichment: As a member of the biological science scholars program, I have a variety of new and different opportunities presented to me that other members of the university may not have access to at this time, such as tours of factories or panels with alumni for support. In addition, as a Pre-Med major who would like to go to medical school after I graduate from Ohio State University, so I have to take challenging courses such as organic chemistry and anatomy courses to appear competitive when applying for medical schools.

Leadership Development: This year I joined the Buckeye Blood Club which helps to organize and coordinate blood drives around campus for local hospitals, which is something I was heavily involved with in high school. If I continue to participate in that club, as an upperclassman I could run my own blood drives and deal directly with the red cross and other organizations. Furthermore, as a part of Alpha Phi Omega I am currently serving on the fellowship committee, and could have an opportunity to help in running multiple events this semester for both actives and pledges in the fraternity.

Service Engagement: My parents both went to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio and met through the service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega. The people they met and the activities they did left a lasting impact on their lives, and growing up I always heard about their Halloween parties with children at the local hospital or handing out letters of encouragement around finals season. Though my parents graduated, their love for service never left them, and as a result was imparted on me. When I got to Ohio State, one of the first clubs I looked to join was Alpha Phi Omega, and I am currently pledging the fraternity this semester. I hope to get to meet like minded people who are looking to give back to the community as I am, and make new connections with different groups of people around the city of Columbus and make campus feel more like home.