Year in Review

Going into my freshman year of college, I was just like any other person, nervous and not sure what to expect. Then, as I finally settled in and started to feel more comfortable I began to feel as if I had found my new home. I started to get involved in some intramural activities, make more friends, and use more of the resources offered by the university. From intramural baseball with some of my high school friends early on in the first semester to playing intramural basketball with some of my new friends from my scholars group in the second semester, it was quite an evolution. Football season was everything that I could have hoped for, and then some, as well. I could not be more excited for this upcoming fall. As the year has come to an end, I could not be more excited for what the future has in store. I plan to expand my role throughout the university and get involved even more in the coming year. Whether it is research or becoming a part of more clubs, I want to do as much as i can to make next year even better than this one has been. My goal has been to do this since my first year of high school, and college will be no different. With the field that I am going into being as demanding as it is, there is no time to get complacent, but it is always a good thing to reflect upon what you have accomplished previously, so that you can grow and improve yourself even more.

Now as I enter year two of my time at The Ohio State University and as a part of the Dunn Sport and Wellness Scholars Program, I feel much more at home. When I entered the university last year in the fall, I was unsure of what to expect from a scholar’s program that I had known very little about aside from a little description on the University website. However, now as an experienced member of the program I could not be happier with my decision. Also, I have made numerous lifelong friends, and now have access to a network going forward that many others will take years to develop. This fails to include the numerous workshops that have been scattered throughout the semesters that have assisted me in developing a proper resume, sense of self, and leadership. Going into my final semester in the program, I want to continue to absorb as much of these skills and traits as I can, so I know that I am best version of myself entering my final years as an undergraduate.

Personally, the Dunn Scholars program has opened doors to many friendships throughout my time at The Ohio State University. These are people that I will be able to stay in contact with the rest of my life and for that I am grateful for my time in DSWS. These people have enlightened me to a multitude of different perspectives and helped me become more open minded as a person. Additionally, I have been able to find a balance between my social life and time spent on school throughout my time spent in DSWS. This has helped me mature as a person and gain the confidence to participate in many organizations and opportunities that I, otherwise, would have passed on. As my time to graduate from the program nears, and I prepare to become even more involved in other parts of campus, the mindset that I have developed through the help of the Dunn Sport and Wellness Scholars program will be crucial in securing leadership positions. Overall, I can confidently say that DSWS has exceeded my expectations upon my arrival on campus and could not be happier with the people I have been able to surround myself with as a result. To any prospective student, I would say that it will be the time of a lifetime and to have high expectations for what you are about to experience. Also, that you will have an advantage over many of your competitors as you will have access to large network of people who have similar interests and goals to yourself. The person that I entered the scholar’s program as was not prepared to take on many of the challenges of college and the real world. Yet, now as I am almost through my sophomore year, I can confidently say that I am ready for many of these hurdles that may arise. Ultimately, I am optimistic that this knowledge will be a great foundation as I pursue my goals in a career and life after college. With the field that I am choosing to pursue, there is not time be complacent, and taking the time to reflect on how I have been able to grow as a person has made me excited to see what the next few years as an undergraduate have in store. No matter where I end up in life, I will be able to look back on my time spent in the scholars program as a truly life changing experience that can be attributed to be a key contributor to many of my successes as a person.