G- Global Awareness:

Traveling and experiencing different cultures has always been important in my family, so I have been lucky enough to travel to some amazing places. I hope to continue to travelĀ a lotĀ throughout college and the rest of my life. I would like to volunteer, study, and maybe even intern abroad through programs here at OSU and outside organizations during the spring and summer time. I am especially interested in volunteering at wildlife orphanages and rehabilitation facilities in Africa and elephant sanctuaries in Asia in order to learn how to handle and properly care for wildlife. I am also interested in educating the public in these foreign places about the importance of conserving the flora and fauna that may surround where they live.

O- Original Inquiry:

In March of 2016, I had the opportunity to study sustainable energy in Iceland, and as I mentioned above, studying abroad is something that I would like to pursue during my time in college. I’m also hoping to be involved in undergraduate research sometime during my four years here. I am interested in research about animal psychology and conservation of habitats and wildlife.

A- Academic Enrichment:

Along with undergraduate research and education abroad, Ohio State’s Stone Laboratory at Lake Erie is another opportunity to learn outside of the classroom that I find appealing. I am considering taking at least one course here sometime in the future. If I could, I would take every opportunity I could to work hands-on with animals and to learn about them in real-life situations rather than sitting at a desk in a classroom. Other than at Stone Laboratory, this kind of learning can be done through my volunteer work with animals. In high school I volunteered at CHA Animal Shelter and I would like to volunteer at the Ohio Wildlife Center’s Hospital over the summer.

L- Leadership Development:

My ability to be a leader can be demonstrated through my time volunteering. I take the initiative to get tasks done and to resolve any issues that may arise. I may also take on a leadership role in a club when I’m an upperclassmen. Currently, I am involved with Zoology Club, Buckeyes for Canines, and Animal Welfare and Behavior Club.

S- Service Engagement:

Besides volunteering at CHA Animal Shelter in high school, I went on a mission trip to Tecate, Mexico in April of 2014 in order to build homes for impoverished families. As of right now, I am in the process of becoming a certified volunteer at the Franklin County Dog Shelter with the Buckeyes for Canines Club. I hope to alternate between volunteering here and at CHA. I also plan on volunteering at the Butternut Farm Wildcat Sanctuary with the Zoology Club on some weekends. I also socialize rabbits at the Ohio House Rabbit Rescue. Also, as I stated above, I would like to volunteer with wildlife in different countries and at the Ohio Wildlife Center’s Hospital.