Non-Profit Lens Reflection

Based on the content the speakers talked about in class, my initial thoughts about the stability of non-profits were changed. Before class, I believed that most non-profits were stable and did not vary often. However, based on what the speakers said, any type of variation of pulling of government funding can completely cripple a non-profit. For example, Slater talked about the metaphorical tsunami of the horizon regarding the funding cuts on his organization that could suspend his company’s plans to aid Linden up to a year. Also, the organization regarding refugees relies heavily on government funding and the speaker talked about how he predicts the new presidency will pull even more funding from his organization and thus hinder their efforts more. Because of this, the non-profits rely on volunteer funding from citizens even more than I previously thought.

In this class section, I found it outstanding how important non-profit agencies are. With how important the issues of refugees and immigrants or access to fresh food for an entire neighborhood is, I would have expected sanctioned government agencies to be trying to tackle these complex issues rather than volunteers in non-profit companies. Because of this, I realized how important it is to volunteer to help non-profits and give direct aid to the struggling people they hope to help.

Personally, I hope to possibly donate or volunteer my time to work for Max Slaters organization. I say this because his non-profit carries out important work delivering basic needs to people around the Columbus area. So, in addition to being relatively close, this is the type of volunteer work I would enjoy doing.