Columbus to do List Part 1

This semester, I have chosen to do 5 activities on the Nature and Outdoor Recreation Columbus to do List because I enjoy exploring nature and experiencing the outdoors as much as I can. In this list, I am most looking forward to visiting High Banks Metro Park because of how beautiful the photos I have seen of it are. Through this assignment I hope to greater appreciate nature and to find places where I can get away from the loud and industrial atmosphere of the city. The first experience I’ve had with this list is going on a night walk on the Olentangy Trail with my suite mates. My favorite experience of this trail was how peaceful the Olentangy Trail becomes at night. During our walk, there was far less people on the trail than usual and therefore there was more wildlife. The first thing I noticed that was different on the trail at night than in the daytime was the loud but peaceful chattering of crickets and katydids in the brush lining the river. Also, since the temperature dropped at night, the walk was a very enjoyable 65 degrees or so. Lastly, we even saw a skunk crossing the trail in front of us. The walk itself lasted about an hour and we covered a couple miles of the trail. Overall, I would recommend that people visit the Olentangy Trail if they have the time to. However, I would recommend that they go in late evening or at night to experience the most tranquility and to see the most wildlife.

image1-2