Year in Review

Rowing:

This is the most beautiful picture that I took while in the boathouse during my rowing season. This experience is very close to my heart because it taught me a lot about life and how I want to spend mine. There were many moments where the team would stop what we were doing and just take in the beauty of the moment. This could be when it was 7am and steam was rising off the river and the sun was just peaking over the trees. However this team also taught me to work as hard as I could to get where I wanted to go and that I could do things that I didn’t realize I could do. Most of life is mind-over-matter but there is a certain point where you need to learn your limits. This has made an amazing impact on how I think about personally being able to change myself and my actions. I believe that really anything is possible as long as you are willing to work to make it happen.

Football:

Being part of 100,000 people all screaming for the same thing is one of lives greatest moments. For a little while, everyone wants the same thing and everyone is fighting for it in their own way. Whether it is cheering on your boys or screaming profanities at the opposing team, for one golden moment everyone is working together. My experiences from the Ohio State Football games is that when that many people want the same thing something amazing can happen! I hope to one day get that many people as passionate about the planet as they are about the Buckeyes and I know that when that happens the world will change. If we could get half as many people half as excited about stoping global warming there would be very few forces that could stop them and change would be forced to happen. There are so many things going on in the would that need help, if we act like saving the planet is a football game and get the world in on the game, there is no doubt that we would have a quick victory.

Volunteering:

There is nothing more satisfying then helping those in need. I spent a lot of time at the Bunny Shelter in Columbus where I learned a great deal about how to take care of rabbits as well as how many amazing people there are in Columbus who are willing to spend time and money on rabbits who previously had no chance at life. This experience has made me think a little more about the little things we could be doing every day to improve the lives of others. Even something as simple as feeding the birds though the winter could save the life a little tiny chickadee. And even though the bird is small I am sure that to that little bird, the seed supplied made all the difference in the world.

Home:

Home is where the heart is. Home can change from time to time but it will always hold a special place in your heart. Even though I love Columbus, Michigan will always be my home and I will always make sure that I do everything in my power to keep my home as beautiful and amazing as possible even when I am not there.

2018                                                                                                 

This year has been a lot of fun. My favorite memory was the kayaking trip down the Olentangy river. It was great meeting some of the new freshmen and being able to kayak in the rain! A close second would be the trip to the rabbit rescue house and socializing with the bunnies. I was able to see more of my fellow second-years that I don’t otherwise spend time with.

ENR taught me a lot about the planet and what I can do as an individual. I was able to see the stories of others who have the same values and morals that I do. These individuals managed to change the wold, why can’t I? I gained more confidence in my actions and the ability to make change where I thought I never could.

My experience with ENR have also opened my eyes to things that I could be doing to help the environment on my own. When I move into my apartment nest year, my roommate and I have decided to both cut down on our food waste and start a composting pile. We are both interested in how we can help the environment and we think this could be a good start. It may be kind of difficult to manage both of these activities along with school and a social life but we are both passionate about the environment and really wish to make a difference.

The best advice that I can give to the incoming freshmen is to go to as many events as possible. Not only are they tons of fun but they help out with networking. Knowing your fellow ENR scholars and the individuals running them is an amazing way to find new opportunities. Whether they are interested in research or study abroad programs or even clubs around campus, knowing others with similar interests is of great importance.