Final Project Brainstorming

The topics I want to explore in my final project are coming of age and rites of passage. These topics interest me because college has been a very transformative time so far, and I think that I could make really interesting art that centers on these themes. Most of what I know about this topic comes from my own experience at OSU, the experiences of my friends, and the portrayals of growing up and college life in pop culture, particularly film, music, and tv. I want to really learn about what different rites of passage people have gone through in their teens and early 20s, and try to capture what coming of age feels like for different people.

There aren’t too many cliché images regarding rites of passage, the only thing that I am really weary of is travel imagery (particularly roadtrips). I think that most people have at least a basic interest in this theme, as it is something that everyone goes through. However, I also believe that part of my job as the artist is to make other people care and have thoughtful (if not emotional) responses to what I create. I think that I can create unique and original art by trying to focus more on the feelings of rites of passages, as opposed to only trying to translate images from real life into a computer screen. I believe that there are plenty of new ways to discuss rites of passage and coming of age, and using a digital medium, I can create art that explores these themes in ways that will allow me to express myself as well as being compelling to other people.