Module 5- Web-Enhanced Listening and Viewing Strategies

Hi everyone!

Welcome to this week’s blog post. Today I will be discussing ways of how we can enhance our learning online. Online classes are not made for everyone. Some may feel lost or bored during a lecture, or some may have trouble studying from their notes. Regardless what the problem is, I am here to help out!

First off, one the most useful tip I’ve learned from this week’s module is that you need to understand the demands of a college classroom. This isn’t high school anymore. College is different. You are allowed to skip your class and no one will say anything to you, however is that a smart move? I don’t think so. Especially during this time when most of our classes are online, professor won’t know if you watched the lecture videos or not. Whenever you decided to skip lecture, think about the important information that you’re losing. What if the professor was giving out a big hint for your upcoming exam? It would suck to miss out on that, right?

So, how do we listen to our lectures without zoning out, being bored, or lost? WE TAKE NOTES! But, how do we take note, you may ask?

Well, here are several tips I have for you today!

• Write out your notes by hand! Use paper and pencil!
    • even though your classes are online, it does not mean you should type your notes on your laptop. Majority of the times, we are just mindless typing whatever the professor says. However, studies shows that when we write our notes by hand the information sticks with us longer.
  • Be an active listener.
    • For online classes, all we do is click the play button and we just listen right? No, you need to make sure that your mind is actively learning. Put your phone away, grab a paper and pencil, and begin writing your notes.

I love online classes, don’t get me wrong, however I never typed my notes on my laptop through my college years. I’m always a paper and pen type of girl. I’ve tried typing my notes one time because I left my notebook at home, however I found myself mindless typing. I typed out whatever the professor said and in fact, I didn’t even know what I was learning. When I got home, I literally had to relearn all the material and took notes on it. It was not fun spending another hour on lecture.

Thank you for reading this week’s post. If you’re a typer, I hope you will try out writing your notes and let me know if it’s helpful!

-Jessica