Advocating

Dear Journal,

I am inspired by my social worker that I have been working with. I had no idea the large role a social worker played in sex trafficking. Social workers have important roles in the prevention and intervention of those victimized by this crime and of those who victimize.

From a prevention perspective, social workers can talk to their clients about the warning signs of potential exploitation and how to access help as well as offer clinical and other supports to those at-risk of victimizing others (micro). Social workers on the macro level can help educate their greater communities of the warning signs of victimizing behavior and victimization and involve themselves in greater community efforts. On a mezzo level, they can voice social work perspective to politicians and lawmakers who make choices about funding programs for those most vulnerable to victimization such as the homeless, immigrants, and unprotected children and to victimizing such as disenfranchised groups, those lacking strong, supportive family structures, and the financially and educationally underserved.

This makes me want to become a social worker so I can advocate and help people who experience this horrible trauma. I am a young girl with a family that is lacking support. I was vulnerable and I was taken advantage of by an evil person. My mission is to make this stop completely. I want to raise awareness on sex trafficking and hopefully my efforts can save at least one person. No person should ever have to go through this.

-Jen