CFP: Asian Drama and Performance
Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association 77th Annual Convention
Conference Date: October 10-12, 2024
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
From traditional theatrical practices to contemporary pop culture, the notion of “performance” has continuously played a pivotal role. It not only influences how we interpret literary and visual texts, but also reflects the evolution of society. With “performance” as the focal point, we aim to bring together scholars who can offer insightful perspectives on the topics related to Asian drama, dance and performance. We welcome studies on Asian dramatic texts and performance traditions across various time periods and regions. Papers that examine the performance in a range of humanities disciplines such as cultural studies, film and media studies, gender studies, religion, and anthropology are also encouraged.
We welcome topics including but not limited to:
- Asian Dance and Drama in Digital Media
- Decolonizing Asian drama and performance
- Race and ethnicity in Asian drama and performance
- Engendering or queering Asian drama and performance
- (Post-)Human Body and mobility in Asian drama and performance
- Nationality and diaspora in Asian drama and performance
- Scripts, Staging, and Props in Theatrical Performances
- Spatiality and Temporality of Asian Drama, Dance, and Performance
- Age, aging, and youth in Asian drama and performance
Prospective participants should submit an abstract of approximately 250 words along with a short (2-3 sentence) biography through this google form by March 15, 2024. The language of the session is English.
Please direct any inquiries to: Miao Dou, Melody Yunzi Li, and Pai Wang.