The Chair of Chinese Culture and Society, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of St.Gallen (HSG) explores contemporary trends in Chinese visual culture, media, literature and society. The Chair wishes to recruit a Research Fellow/Assistant in Chinese Studies (70%) to conduct innovative research, assist with teaching materials, and organise the Chair’s activities. The Chair welcomes applications from candidates with a PhD in Chinese Studies, or MA for PhD candidates near completion, whose expertise lies in visual arts, literature, cultural studies, media studies or history with a focus on China. The person appointed will dedicate most of their time to research and publish research findings, including two peer-reviewed journal articles co-authored with the Chair. They will organise and coordinate workshops, guest lectures and other academic activities. They will present at conferences with the Chair and work in a small team. Applicants must have native or near-native language skills in English and Mandarin Chinese and an excellent publication record. The position is open from 1 November 2022 for three years, with the possibility of renewal.
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences forms an important and unique feature of the University of St.Gallen. The Chair of Chinese Culture and Society has the mission to build a cultural bridge with China and to represent Chinese Studies in Switzerland and on the international scene.
- Conduct research on contemporary trends in Chinese culture and society, including visual arts, literature and media;
- Consult, collect, and interpret source materials, such as artworks and literary sources, print and digital media, Internet writings, blogs and secondary literature;
- Publish their findings in collaboration with the Chair, including two peer-reviewed journal articles;
- Organise international workshops and academic activities;
- Promote the Chair’s visibility by managing the website, social media and publicity;
- Liaise with external institutions, scholars and guest lecturers;
- Assist the Chair with teaching-related materials and communication.
- A PhD in Chinese Studies, or MA for PhD candidates near completion, in visual arts, literature, cultural studies, media studies or history with a focus on China;
- Excellent track record in research and academic publications;
- Native or near-native fluency in English and Mandarin Chinese;
- Excellent organisation, communication, and intrapersonal skills;
- Ability to work in an international team and create a collegial atmosphere;
- Expertise in using IT resources;
- German language skills are not required to work in the team.
Please apply online by Monday 25 July 2022 and send a a CV, Letter of Motivation, List of Publications and two samples of your writings. The position is open until filled.
Prof. Dr. Daria Berg Daria.Berg@unisg.ch
Chair of Chinese Culture and Society
University of St.Gallen (HSG) – Unterer Graben 21 – 9000 St.Gallen