9th Asian-Pacific Forum on Translation and Intercultural Studies–cfp

CFP: The 9th Asian-Pacific Forum on Translation and Intercultural Studies will be held virtually between March 25-26, 2022 by the Interpreting and Translation Studies Program at the Wake Forest University, USA.

The APFTIS aims to gather students, educators, researchers and practitioners in the translation and interpreting (T&I) and intercultural studies fields to present their research and exchange perspectives on current trends across disciplines. Since the establishment of the Forum in 2011, it has been hosted by a number of prestigious universities around the world and has become one of the most reputable events of its kind.

The 9th Forum is soliciting submissions that reflect diverse theoretical perspectives and empirical research. Topics are broadly defined, and include, but are not limited to, the following areas:

• T&I services in medical, legal, business, diplomatic, media and non-traditional contexts, i.e. humanitarian crisis, public safety and law enforcement
  • Collaboration between T&I academia and practitioners and industry partners from other domains
  • Community as base for interpreting and translation; i.e. re-enforced and/or re-defined role of T&I in diversified communities
  • Agency of translators and interpreters in global societies; i.e. leadership, construction of a nation’s or world region’s identity and image, impact on cultural memory
  • Big translation and cultural memory: the construction of a nation’s identity /image€
  • New approaches in T&I studies, i.e. trans-creation, adaptation with compensation, self-censorship
  • Cultural factors and T&I strategies
  • Remote interpreting and re-speaking
  • Technology application in T&I, in particular T&I-related AI applications, T&I on demand, post-editing, terminology management, etc.
  • Multimodality in T&I, i.e. audiovisual, videogames, movies
  • T&I education and curriculum development
  • T&I ethics, standards and quality assessment

Abstract Submission

Authors are invited to submit abstracts for individual presentations of 20 min. (15 min. + Q&A) and short bios through Linguist List platform (https://old.linguistlist.org/easyabs/APFTIS21) or email your abstract to apftis2022@wfu.edu by January 31, 2022. Abstracts will be selected for presentation at the conference by the Academic Committee and the selected presenters will be notified by February 21, 2022.

ITS Rising Scholar Award

The Academic Committee invites academic faculty in first five years of their careers to submit their papers to be considered for this award. The Committee will choose two papers of excellence in T&I, intercultural studies and/or other relevant studies and grant two awards of $300 together with a certificate with signatures of the Co-chairs of the Academic Committee. The applicants must send their papers by May 15, 2022 to apftis2022@wfu.edu.

Best Student Paper Award

The Forum offers an opportunity to foster collaborative research between faculty and undergraduate and graduate students. In that spirit, the Organizing Committee invites undergraduate and graduate/doctoral students majoring in T&I, intercultural studies and/or other relevant studies to submit their papers for a special session dedicated to undergraduate and graduate research. The paper needs to be approved and recommended by a faculty member from the student’s current university. The Interpreting and Translation Studies Graduate Program at WFU will provide an award of “Best Student Paper” for two papers of excellence submitted by students, accompanied by $300, together with a certificate issued by the Interpreting and Translation Studies Graduate Program and the Graduate School of WFU. The applicants must send their papers by May 15, 2021 to apftis2022@wfu.edu.

Registration

Registration fees are waived for all presenter and non-presenter participants! But in order to receive the links to the conference, please register here by March 4, 2022.

Contact us

For all queries regarding the conference, please visit the website or write to apftis2022@wfu.edu.

Posted by: Xijinyan Chen chenx@wfu.edu