2022/23 Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
Department of Chinese Language and Literature
WHY HKBU CHI?
The Department of Chinese Language and Literature at Hong Kong Baptist University is a great place to pursue PhD studies for various reasons.
Our staff have received their qualifications and previously worked in various prestigious academic institutions in Hong Kong. Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, USA, UK, Germany and others.
Their research expertise covers areas as diverse as poetics and literary theory, canonical studies and commentaries, Sino-Korean cross-cultural studies, pre-classical inscriptions, paleography, excavated manuscripts, as well as modern and contemporary Chinese literature and culture.
The department is associated with a number of noted institutions such as the Jao Tsung-I Academy of Sinology (JAS), the Sino- Humanitas Institute (SHI), and the Centre for Chinese Cultural Heritage (CCH). Among the most recent academic exchange partners of our department are Waseda University, National University of Singapore, Yonsei University, Heidelberg University and others.
Dozens of MPhil and PhD students have benefited from the department’s vibrant and diverse academic environment and community. Having flourished in rigorous programs offered by the department and associated institutions, our graduates have gone on to various paths of their careers. Currently, three PhD candidates from Ukraine, Germany, and Russia are studying in the department as recipients of the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS). Awardees receive a stipend of approximately HK$26,900 (approx. USD 3450) monthly and an annual scholarship of HK$42,100 (approx. USD5400); HK$25,000 (approx. USD3200) per year for research materials and books, HK$32,000 (approx. USD4100) per year plus a University’s provision of HK$20,000 (approx. USD2550) for conference and research-related travel allowance.
Academic Qualification Requirements:
Applicants should possess:
- A good master’s degree from a recognized university or comparable institution; or
- A bachelor’s degree with first class honours from a recognized university or comparable institution.
Language Proficiency Requirements:
- English as a medium of instruction proof; or
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) at 79 (Internet-based test); or
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) at 6.5 (Academic).
Academic excellence, research ability and potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
Initial application to RGC (1 Sept. – 1 Dec. 2021 – Hong Kong time 12:00 PM)
- Make an initial application through the Online Application System at the
- obtain an HKPFS reference number.
Full application to HKBU (1 Sept. to 1 Dec. 2021 – Hong Kong Time 11:59 PM)
- Learn about admission requirements and fields of study on offer;
- submit a full online application to HKBU through the Online Application System.
Result announcement (Apr. 2022)
- The result will be announced at the RGC’s website; and
- individual awardee will receive an email notification directly from RGC.
CHI HKPFS Committee
Dr. Adam Schwartz email@example.com
Dr. Howard Y.F. Choy firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Andrej Fech email@example.com