I am pleased, and somewhat relieved, to announce publication of the Spring 2021 (33.1) issue of MCLC, my last as editor of the journal. Find below the table of contents, with links to abstracts. My editor’s note, in which I introduce the new editors—Natascha Gentz and Christopher Rosenmeier—and offer a few observations on my tenure at the helm of the journal, is available as a pdf download. If you are so inclined, take a look.
Subscriber copies will be mailed out shortly. If you have any questions or concerns about your subscription, please contact Jennifer Nunes at email@example.com. She will be overseeing subscriptions until the full transition to the new editorial team and new publisher is completed, hopefully by this fall.
With bittersweet emotions,
Volume 33, Number 1 (Spring 2021)
- Editor’s Note (pdf)
- Symbiosis: Department Store Roof Gardens and Their Appropriation by Lower-Class Urban Women, 1917–1948
- Inscribing the Cultural Revolution in the Everyday: Lü Da, Wen Wei Po, and the Question of Hong Kong Literary History
Shuk Man Leung
- Poetic Approach and Yi-ness: Poets and Ethnic Identity Construction in China
- Left Melancholy: Chen Yingzhen, Wang Anyi, and the Desire for Utopia in the Postrevolutionary Era
- Jiang Rong’s Wolf Totem, Travel Writing, and the Myth of Mongolian Pastoralism
Philip P. Marzluf
- Alternative Modernity, Wartime Romanticism, and Ideologies of Fiction in Occupied China (1937–1945)
- Homecoming: Poetry as Relational Space in Contemporary Chinese Cinema