Fulbright China/HK program

I’m forwarding this appeal for support for the Fulbright China Program, which the Trump administration seeks to end. I encourage you to join in.–Kirk

For those of who you don’t know me, my name’s Ned Downie, and I was a 2017-18 Fulbright at Yunnan University, studying Chinese investment in energy and agriculture in Southeast Asia. You all may have heard the recent announcement from the current administration that it wants to terminate Fulbright China/Hong Kong (exec order here, news coverage here). If you’re like me, the Fulbright was a hugely valuable opportunity for you: helping advance your research, getting to know new sides of China, making lifelong friendships, and much more.

I’m asking you to speak up on Fulbright China/HK’s behalf! There’s ongoing organizing by Fulbright China/HK grantees and alums: Here’s how you can help:

Spread the Word:

Sign this petition put together by current grantees / alums / Fulbright Lotus (a diversity initiative by and for Asian Fulbrighters). We’ve got 500+ signatures and counting — anyone can sign, not just Fulbrighters, so share it with your networks!

Write to or call your local Representative, Senator, and the 12-person Fulbright Board (their contact information here).

• Writers: Use the email template linked here.
  • Callers: Call their office and tell them about the petition and ask their office to help fight back.

Share through social media with the hashtag #ProtectFulbright and use #MyFulbrightStory to circulate the petition and share your Fulbright experiences. Use the amazing social media graphics attached — credit to Rebecca Ericson (current Fulbright HK grantee) for these.

Get Involved:

Join the Slack channel: it’s a centralized hub for discussions around actions on this issue. The team has drafted an op-ed and is putting together a website to house information and share Fulbrighter stories, and they’d love ideas for new actions and more people who can pitch in on these projects.

Also consider joining the Fulbright China WeChat group (I’ll hook you up if you’re not in yet — find me at neddownie).

Share your personal narrative related to the Fulbright program in China or Hong Kong; the organizing team would love to elevate your story and provide a platform for engagement. Contact them at memalumfulbright@gmail.com.

Let’s make sure this doesn’t go down without a fight.

Yours,

Ned Downie <ned.downie@gmail.com>
2017-18 Fulbright Scholar
Yunnan University