Artifacts

Panel Member for the COHHIO Legislative Strategy and Budget Process, 2020

On October  5th, 2020 I spoke at a webinar with the Advocacy Director for COHHIO (Coalition on Homelessness and Housing in Ohio), Gina Wilt, about youth homelessness and the housing crises. She reached out to me after the CDF Children’s Caucus to further discuss my ideas on common-sense housing and homelessness policy proposals and ideas in order to formulate the COHHIO’s legislative strategy in preparation for Ohio’s budget process.

We discussed the topics I presented in the Ohio Legislative Children’s Caucus Webinar, which can be found in Ohio Legislative Children’s Caucus Webinar.

Speech at Children Defense Fund’s “Lift Every Voice for Children” Fall Benefit, 2020

On September 16th, 2020 I spoke at the 2020 Beat the Odds “Lift Every Voice for Children” event advocating for improved education for homeless youth. Information about the benefit can be found at Children’s Defense Fund-Ohio Fall Benefit: Lift Every Voice for Children! – Children’s Defense Fund Ohio (cdfohio.org). A video recording of my speech can be found at Review Link – September 28, 2020 – Frame.io.

Expert Panel Member for the Ohio Legislative Children’s Caucus Webinar on “Safe, Decent, and Affordable Housing is Fundamental to the Health and Prosperity of Ohio’s Children and Families”, 2020

On June 19th, 2020 I spoke as an expert on a panel for the Children’s Defense Fund webinar about the youth housing crisis as part of Ohio’s Legislative Children’s Caucus, working with legislators to solve the current challenges facing homeless youth. Information about the Caucus can be found at Safe, Decent, and Affordable Housing is Fundamental to the Health and Prosperity of Ohio’s Children and Families – Children’s Defense Fund Ohio (cdfohio.org). A copy of my speech can be found at Ohio Legislative Children’s Caucus Webinar.

My main contributions to the Caucasus are the programmatic items to consider, which are (quoted from the linked website): 

• More programs are needed that allow unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 to access their services and resources.
  • Stipends to those experiencing homelessness are currently too low for many to obtain decent quality housing and afford utilities in the current market.
  • Placing restrictions on access to housing assistance and services based on prior evictions or criminal convictions only exacerbates the problem and does not help those most in need.
  • Application processes and their required steps should be designed in a way they can be clearly understood by as many types of people as possible. When designing programs to provide housing or support for the homeless, consider providing transportation, assistance for the disabled during the application process, and assistance with access to technology when necessary.

TEDx Talk “Love and the American Dream”, 2019

On October 5th, 2019 I gave a TEDx Talk titled “Love and the American Dream” about youth poverty and homelessness. A video of the talk can be found at (1) Love and the American Dream | Asia McKenzie | TEDxStroudsRun – YouTube.

Intergenerational Poverty Spectrum News Interview, 2019

On August 14th, 2019 I gave an interview on spectrum news about the challenges of intergenerational poverty, which can be found at Scholarship Winner Hopes to Break Generational Poverty Cycle (spectrumnews1.com).

Speech and Spectrum News Interview on the Disadvantages the disabled, poor, and homeless face in Education, 2019.

On June 20th 2019 I spoke at the 2019 Beat the Odds Celebration, and gave a live tv interview on spectrum news, on the disadvantages the disabled, poor, and homeless face in education. Information about the event can be found at Children’s Defense Fund-Ohio 2019 Beat the Odds Celebration | Columbus Underground. A copy of my speech can be found at Beat the Odds 2019 Remarks.  

Beat the Odds Interview about my Personal Experiences with Poverty and Homelessness, 2019

On July 26th, 2019 I gave an interview for the Beat the Odds 2019 Celebration and Benefit about my experiences with poverty and homelessness. A video of my interview can be found at (1) Asia’s Story (2019 BTO Honoree) – YouTube. Information about the interview can be found at Beat the Odds Program – Children’s Defense Fund Ohio (cdfohio.org)

[Artifacts are the items you consider to be representative of your academic interests and achievements. For each entry, include both an artifact and a detailed annotation.  An annotation includes both a description of the artifact and a reflection on why it is important to you, what you learned, and what it means for your next steps.  For more guidance on using your ePortfolio, including questions and prompts that will help you get started, please visit the Honors & Scholars ePortfolio course in Carmen. To get answers to specific questions, please email eportfolio@osu.edu. Delete these instructions and add your own post.]