My name is Mary McGrath and I am a first-year Biology major from Cincinnati, Ohio at The Ohio State University. I am the youngest of four children in my family and love to play tennis, read, hike, and bake in my free time. For high school, I attended Ursuline Academy, which proved instrumental in shaping my character and values, as I believe in the power of education, curiosity, and a strong work ethic.

One of the most influential experiences in which I participated at Ursuline Academy was a mission trip to Pine Ridge, South Dakota to perform manual labor for the Native Americans in the area. For a week, my Ursuline sisters and I learned the traditions and lifestyle idiosyncrasies of the Oglala Lakota tribe, a group of highly misunderstood yet extremely caring individuals. Through this unique experience, in which I was ejected from my comfort zone, I truly learned the definition of the Native American phrase mitakuye oyasin, or “we are all related.” My time in Pine Ridge, coupled with my passionate involvement with The Ronald McDonald House as a “project leader” for three years at Ursuline Academy, has served as a strong foundation for the work I hope to continue throughout my life: helping people.

Furthermore, I strive to achieve this goal through science, as I plan on attending medical school after my undergraduate career. At The Ohio State University, I hope to be involved with the study abroad program to continue learning and experiencing other lifestyles, with a focus on medicine on these trips. Real-world experience is a crucial aspect of learning, and I am determined to gain as much raw exposure as possible.

Academically, I plan on completing research under a professor or biologist. Being involved with research would mean truly making a mark on modern science, even as just an undergraduate student. I would be honored to take part in such a meaningful experience and would welcome any chance to participate. Regarding my education in general at The Ohio State University, I realize how lucky I am to even be attending college in a world where higher education is unavailable to so many. I begin my first year excited and eager to immerse myself in the opportunities that OSU provides.