Artifacts

Completion of Animal Handling Course

I recently took my first final as my Animal Handling Course, ANIMSCI 2000, came to an end. This half-semester course is not usually taken freshmen’s first seven weeks at campus, as most the students in my course were upperclassmen. However, I think that starting my time at Ohio State by taking this course have given myself excitement for the future years here.

The course included one lecture and one lab session per week. Each lecture prepared us for the animal which we would be working with later in the week for lab by going over common animal care practices and normal (and abnormal) behavior for that species. The course included lectures/labs on the following: dairy cows, poultry, beef cattle, horses, swine, and sheep/goats. Additionally, the course had us complete one industry certification program; I chose the Pork Quality Assurance Plus (PQA+) Certification Program.

As someone who has worked with horses, which are usually regarded separate from livestock species, exposure to true livestock/farm/food species was extremely exciting. After every lab I texted my mom and dad in our group message and filled them in on what happened. Getting to participate in multiple handling procedures such as cattle pregnancy checks, collecting blood, and processing piglets were all brand new to me but exhilarating. I was proud of myself after every lab for completing new experiences with animals that some find extremely intimidating, such as beef cattle. Working with livestock gave me that ‘rush’ feeling when one feels ready to accomplish their goals. By exposing myself to these new farm species right out of the gate, I not only proved to myself that my Animal Sciences major is the right pathway for me, but I also discovered an interest in livestock animals that I may not have discovered until much later in my coursework had I not taken this course early. By now knowing that I love working with farm animals, I can plan my upcoming coursework to include more courses related to livestock and will pursue internships and job opportunities in caring for these species.