My name is Lucy Marshall. I am a first-year student at Ohio State. I am majoring in Athletic Training on a Physical Therapy track. I wanted to work in this field due to all the injuries I sustained, including a torn ACL and meniscus, as well as broken bones and concussions. The people who helped me recover as swiftly as possible, influenced me to lead a life helping others and making sure athletes recover quickly and correctly. Sports have always been a part of my life. My father was a soccer coach and my mother was the president of our town’s tennis club.

I have tried all different kinds of sports; soccer, tennis, track, volleyball but ultimately my favorite sport to play, despite all my past injuries, is rugby. The community, style, and aggressiveness of the sport are what I am so attracted to. I definitely hope to continue playing rugby at OSU, even if that means building a whole new team from scratch or just playing pick-up games. My past in sports and intent to continue my career in sports led me to join the Dunn Sports and Wellness Scholar program at Ohio State.

Another big part of my life is volunteering. Every summer I volunteer for our town’s safety town and for a program called Soccer4All. Safety town is very important to me. I believe it’s very important for young children to learn how to stay safe while having lots of fun. Soccer4All is another thing I hold very dear. I’ve been participating since the 7th grade. Teaching kids with disabilities to play soccer has taught me to always look on the bright side. The kids always come with smiles on their faces ready to play and it has always warmed my heart. I’m hoping to continue volunteering while at Ohio State and to find friends who are willing to help me with making other’s lives better.

I am from Hudson, Ohio, about two hours away from campus. My older brother, Craig is at Colorado State getting his Ph.D. in Biochemistry. Craig also played rugby in high school and was a big reason I decided to try it. My sister, Tyler, also attends Ohio State and is majoring in Biology. We are super close and love playing video games together as well as watching documentaries. William, the youngest of the Marshall family, is in the 5th grade and is a great actor, but is mostly invested in Fortnite. We all love traveling the country and the world. We have been to Great Britain, China, Singapore, Canada, as well as many states in the country.

I’m very excited to meet new people, try new things, and start my adventure at The Ohio State University!