Week 7: Reflection

I decided to do a small sketch of what I would have added to my drawing. Based on the criticism I received, I would definitely add a background to my drawing. I would draw the scenario of what my story was. I would also include more texture apart of my values. I would have prefer to use my original tools because I believe it would display the story much better. Another factor that I would add is definitely the shadows of the items. Since I did add these items in a glass table, their reflections were there which is why I wish I could have include them in my original drawing. Some of the challenges I personally faced was how little time I had. I did not realize how much detail my items were and I felt that if I had a bit more time, I could have express them more. I also had little time to physically view my items, I had to draw them mainly by memory but also from a photo I took. I also struggle of “perfecting” my drawing. I wanted to make my drawing perfected but realize the messier the better! The messier it was, the drawing could have look more carefree and express that freedom you feel when you are in a vacation. A lot of the critiques the sticked with me is continue adding value to my drawings as well include the background. I believe if I include the background to the scenario I wanted to draw out based on my items and the story I wanted to tell, I would have liked my drawing much more!

One thought on “Week 7: Reflection

1. Thanks for your reflection Marilyn and I am glad to hear the critique was helpful to you. I agree that adding in a background / horizon line adds to the context of your drawing and helps create a story in relation to the objects you chose.

I know you had to change locations quickly, but drawing from observation will always help your drawing become more nuanced and interesting. There is a difference between what our brain thinks it sees and what our eyes actually see.

I think I would substitute the word “loose” for what you call messy. Loose does not mean care-free, but rather confident and comfortable with the way you put your drawing down on the page! I think that is any interesting point, but it still means we can be rigorous with our drawings too – just not overthink or worry about the “perfection.”