Annotated Bibliography

1. Derevensky, Jeffrey L., and Rina Gupta. “Prevalence Estimates of Adolescent Gambling: A Comparison of the SOGS-RA, DSM-IV-J, and the GA 20 Questions.” Journal of Gambling Studies, vol. 16, no. 2/3, 2000, pp. 227-251.

This article is a case study of young gamblers that shows the prevalence of youth problem gambling and ways to alleviate the problem via therapy. The authors are both from McGill University which has a study of youth gambling at its university, they are journal authors. This article strengthens my claim that youth gambling is so prevalent as seen in these studies that it should make gambling illegal. The source is relatively recent from 2000 and it gives good information based on a case study of young gamblers as a big percentage. I found this source from the OSU Library Database by searching youth gambling.

2. Jazaeri, Seyedamir, and Mohammadhussain Bin Habil. “Reviewing Two Types of Addiction – Pathological Gambling and Substance Use.” Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine, vol. 34, no. 1, Jan. 2012, pp. 5–11.

This article defines the addiction of problem gambling putting it side by side with substance abuse. The authors write for the Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine which is an accredited source that uses tests and other scholarly findings to anticipate the behaviors of problem gambling. This source does a good job of examining the psychological side and human side of bad gambling. It strengthens my case that gambling should be illegal because it causes addiction. The article was written in 2012. I found this source through the OSU database by searching gambling addiction.

3. Udovicic Z., Ante. “Special Report: Sports and Gambling a Good Mix? I Wouldn’t Bet on It.”, 8 Marq. Sports L. J. 401 (1998): 401-427.
This article discusses the troubled relationship between sports and gambling that causes youth addiction and many athletes to jeopardize their integrity. The author is credited with a degree from Law School at Marquette University where he spent a couple years as one of a few editors in their annual Marquette Sports Law Journal. I chose this article because it strengthens the claim that athletes may lose their personal integrity when there is gambling affecting the outcome. In the article the author discusses how gambling is causing athletes to either cheat the games or question to cheat them, and claims there is no certain solution to the problem. The article is a bit old, being that it was published in 1998, but it highlights a history of cheating in sports that remains relevant to my topic today. Gambling is something that has been around for a while and is still growing so even though the article is out of date it is still useful. I received this article from the OSU Library database. I searched the phrase “Gambling and Sports” and found this article.

4. Walker, Michael. “Compulsive Gambling is not an Addiction.” Gambling: Opposing Viewpoints, Torr, James D., Greenhaven Press, 2002, 58-68.

This article states that gambling is not an addiction or problem and that all the studies of gambling are overstated. It says that gambling is more a psychological decision that is a social norm and should not be treated as anything more. This article is published in a scholarly journal for a professional audience so it is legitimate. I chose this article because it offers a counterclaim to my argument that gambling causes too much addiction. This article states that it otherwise is more just a habit and social norm. The article was written after 2000 and remains pretty relevant to todays story. I found this source through the OSU Library Database and it is originally located at Gale databases for opposing viewpoints.