50 Things I’ve Learned in Two Years of College

Retrieved from: http://educationaltechnologyguy.blogspot.com/2011/04/end-of-school-year-approaches-lesson.html

Next week is the start of finals… To me this year has gone by pretty fast. Honestly, I can’t believe that it is over. I hope it’s been a good first year for you and that the rest of your college career is a good one.  Today I just want to share what I’ve learned in two years of college from my personal journey and from what I’ve observed of other people. I may also throw in a little bit of advice.

1. College is NOTHING like I expected it to be, but it is worth it.
  2. If you can get through the first two years of college, then you know that you can finish through it.
  3. Professors and advisors are your biggest advocates in your education.
  4. For those of us that commute to campus, just because you are attending a college close to home doesn’t mean that you won’t meet new people and new friends.
  5. We may be “adults” but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun, immature moments.
  6. Ramon noodles and Easy Mac really are our go to meals when we are low on cash and low on time.
  7. Almost everyone procrastinates, even though we know we shouldn’t.
  8. Getting involved on campus makes being in college more fun.
  9. I’d much rather spend a few hours in classes than go to school for a full day.
  10. If you plan your schedule out right, you can potentially avoid ever having to have an early morning class.
  11. Don’t be surprised if you change your major. I said that I would never change my major and of course I did change it.
  12. Even students in majors that have a very specific career field, we don’t know where we are going with our lives after graduation.
  13. Don’t give up, you’ve made it too far  to do that.
  14. Projects as finals actually take up more time than just studying for a final exam.
  15. Even here at a regional campus, a small town person can be exposed to so much more than they had in high school.
  16. Traditional students can become good friends with non-traditional students, no matter how big the age gap is.
  17. In high school (even my first semester or two of college) I never understood why many college students take more than four years to get their bachelors degree, now I understand.
  18. Follow your own path, not the path that others want you to follow.
  19. Having a job in college is easier than having a job in high school.
  20. Coffee and energy drinks can be your best friend at times, but it’s better if you don’t make it a habit.
  21. Only take on what you know you can handle. If you are questioning if you can take on that extra class or that second job then it is probably something that will push you above your limits.
  22. Immerse yourself in your education, your paying too much not to do so.
  23. College is an investment, don’t forget that.
  24. Study something that has NOTHING to do with your major, but fulfills a GE requirement. You can learn a lot about yourself if you do.
  25. Prerequisites are more than just classes, they help you make sure that this is the field that you should go into before it is too late to change.
  26. Have fun, but don’t push school away… Also work hard, but don’t forget to have fun.
  27. I still can’t believe it’s been two years since I started college…
  28. It’s a privilege to go to college. There are people out there that want to be in college, but for one reason or another they can’t.
  29. Don’t get yourself too busy for family or close friends.
  30. If you can do an internship or undergrad research, do t.
  31. Online classes are not that bad.
  32. No one understands you better than your classmates in the same major as you.
  33. Join a club, or two, or three.
  34. Go to all of the fun events on campus as possible, this is your only chance to experience them.
  35. Being a Buckeye is pretty great.
  36. Now is the time to make mistakes, just make sure that you learn from them.
  37. Missing a few classes won’t kill you, but being a habitual class skipper can have serious consequences.
  38. Don’t forget about any of your online classes.
  39. The freshman 15 is real and if you don’t do anything about, you will have a hard time getting rid of it your sophomore year.
  40. Study with your friends. It makes it more bearable.
  41. Get to know people that wouldn’t have been in your clique in high school. They just might become your best friends.
  42. Take a road trip in the summer, even short road trips help clear your mind after a long semester.
  43. Attend free events, even the ones that may not seem like they interest you. You may wind up liking it, if not then at least you got some free food.
  44. Watch what you say and do in front of professors, especially if you are staying here all four years.
  45. Do something crazy once in a while. Make sure that what you do is legal though!
  46. If you can rent your textbook, do it.
  47. Get a job in college. Even the smallest job helps you build character.
  48. Make sure that you focus on yourself.
  49. College really helps you find yourself.
  50.  Ten years from now remember these years. Look back at the fun you had and lessons learned and see how they got you to where you are then.

It’s been great getting to share my thoughts and experiences with all of you. I hope that the newsletters and the blogs have been helpful and enjoyable to read.  Good luck on finals!

Best Wishes,

Christina Russell

ALMOST Third Year Student

2 thoughts on “50 Things I’ve Learned in Two Years of College