Update 1

After yet another semester working with Excel and documenting some tools I’ve learned, I think it is even more evident that Microsoft Excel is an extremely powerful data manipulation software. I focused mainly on exploring the VLOOKUP, SUMIF, SUMIFS, and INDEX functions. While these are only a few of the skills I have acquired through my work with Great American Insurance, they are definitely among the simplest and most frequently used in my experience.

I personally believe that these four functions alone are enough for anyone to start working and manipulating data. Not only are they are common functions asked in job interviews, but the logic behind them nurtures critical thinking and problem solving skills.

Although I legally cannot go into specifics, my work with Great American this semester included updating formulas in spreadsheets, creating new spreadsheets that help organize data, and exporting and manipulating data tables from larger databases. In all of my work, I can honestly say Excel was a necessary tool.

Microsoft Excel is often overshadowed by new, fancier data manipulation, but it is undoubtedly underestimated. It is also so widely used that I firmly believe every young professional should have a basic understanding of its advanced tools, particularly the four I mentioned. I hope by sharing my experiences, I inspire others to familiarize themselves with Microsoft Excel and all the advanced functions it has to offer.

As this semester continues I intend to do more research on the importance of Microsoft Excel not only in my workplace but business all around the country. I feel strongly about what I have discovered in my work, but I need to support my findings with more factual evidence. I also need to promote my Capstone to my audience, young professionals like myself, who wish to learn some simple advanced functions in Microsoft Excel to separate themselves from others in the job market.