Student Orgs.

Orientation day was my first time being at the University overnight. I talked to a lot of new people and tried a lot new activities. The most prominent one being sand volleyball. Me and seven of my new friends started it jokingly but got really into it. We did a lot of new activities but sand volleyball became an unofficial tradition.

I participated in the OWL program, and arrived 2 days before most of my peers. After all the activities and programs we participated in for the first couple days, we all went to the volleyball courts which, fortunately, are located in front of Houston House. When everyone was moved in, they joined our love for retiring to volleyball after a long tiresome day. While I browsed Ohio State’s directory of clubs and student organizations, a lot of things seemed appealing but there were too many that I couldn’t make time for. I talked to a lot of organizations during the STEM Exploration and Engagement OSU involvement fair and even more during the public OSU involvement fair but was not really super interested in any one club specifically. I joined some simple clubs like the Actuarial club and the Accounting club, even some silly ones like the Painting With Bob Ross Club. The one that stood out above everything though was the intramural Sand Volleyball club.

One of my friends, Takuma, who joined me in playing volleyball religiously had signed up and started practicing with them while also playing with us. Takuma invited me to his team and explained all the rules of the intramural sport. He explained that it was a very low stress club and lots of fun with a lot of people who did not take the sport super seriously. I started playing and it was so much fun. The leader of the club is really chill, carefree and nice and he encourages us to play better and to have lots of fun while doing it. He gives us tips and advice on how to improve as well as teach us anything new. This organization can be very beneficial to me and I believe that I’ll continue doing this for the next four years. It’s a good way to make new friends, play in a competitive environment that supports having fun and just relax from the myriad of assignments that constantly berate me throughout the course of most days.

To accommodate for this new club, I’ve been doing my Monday homework on the weekend beforehand which is helping treat my procrastination. For the first couple weeks of college, my friends and I have all been looking for a club that would be very fun to be in or looking to start a new club but with this, our search has shrunk as we are all having so so much fun with this club. We have not had a lot of practices yet and have not faced any other teams so far but the large size of the university and the large number of teams to face are making the club much more exciting.  This is looking to be a very fun semester and a lot of it has to do with the intramural sand volleyball club.