Doesn’t everyone have a favorite holiday memory? I grew up in Michigan so mine revolve around snow. My favorite: playing hockey in backyard rinks — the one next door or at the local school three blocks away. And, the soundtrack to all outdoor holiday activity? The crunch of snow. Music to my ears.
The winding down of each year calls us to look back, celebrate, wrap up and remember those moments, great and small, that are important to carry with us. These are a few of the things that I take from 2014:
- The Gala Reopening of Sullivant Hall. The celebration of the transformation and renewal of this landmark building featuring the spectacular Sullivant’s Travels, a site-specific performance work by world-renowned director/choreographer Stephan Koplowitz, was unforgettable and a perfect showcase for the first visible piece of our emerging Arts District.
- Riding with Team ASC, the college’s peloton, in my first Pelotonia. Team ASC’s riders and “virtual riders” raised nearly $28,000 for cancer research. It was exhilarating to be part of such a team.
- Initiating our first year of Donuts w/the dean — students, donuts, T-shirts, conversation. A recipe for making connections and memories, one donut at a time.
- Honoring our world-class researchers, artists and scholars who hold endowed chairs and professorships and the generous donors who make them possible in our first formal Investiture Ceremony.
- Celebrating our ability to successfully compete against the odds — our Buckeyes 59-0 Big 10 Championship win was the icing on 2014’s cake.
I look forward to the milestones and memories to be made in 2015. Right around the corner? The first public peek at CBEC, a new landmark building that promises great things for 21st Century research at Ohio State.
Happy Holidays. May they be as bright as our students’ smiles.