Campus is never the same without our students; they bring everything to life. Soon, many will be off to new lives, but I am confident their arts and sciences education has prepared them to face all challenges.
Evidence for that exists at every turn. Our dynamic, talented faculty and staff and the students they guide continue to impress and amaze me with their dedication and ability. I am gratified that we provide an environment that allows them to thrive and succeed.
Recently, we learned that three of our outstanding young researchers have won major national and international awards to support their work—
- Kotaro Nakanishi in chemistry and biochemistry—a top research grant from the Japanese government
- Julie Golomb in psychology—a 2014 Sloan Fellowship
- Matthew Kahle in mathematics—an NSF CAREER Award
- Jacob Bogart, a senior honors student majoring in globalization studies and French with a minor in geography, was named a Luce Scholar—Ohio State’s first
- While many were relaxing over spring break, 30 ASC student performance artists traveled to China to share their uniquely American art forms with audiences in cities and universities throughout China. Their venture was funded by a $50,000 U.S. State Department grant and privately raised funds.
Time marches on. Stay tuned for details on our next Donuts with the Dean.