Hi everyone! My name is Akanksha Malhotra and I am a Biological Sciences Scholar. I am ecstatic to go to OSU and cannot wait to see what the Scholars program has in store. Meeting new people and exploring new places is something I look forward to at OSU. I chose the Scholars Program because of the close-knit community it offers inside of a large campus. With this program, I am able to enjoy the opportunities a large school has to offer as well as the small community for academics and a social life.

Generally I am an extrovert and love to talk whenever I can; however, when it comes to an academic setting, I prefer small-medium class sizes where I can get to know each person. Additionally, I enjoy the facilitation of group discussions in a smaller classroom. Biology/Anatomy, Spanish, and Math are subjects that interest me the most. While at OSU, I hope to get a major in Biology and obtain a career in Pharmaceutical sales or go to Medical School. I took Spanish for 5 years in high school and if there is ample time, I would like to get a minor in Spanish. As I obtain these degrees, I plan to take advantage of the study abroad programs OSU offers. In high school I went to Nicaragua and would love to return to another Spanish-speaking country and give back to the community, more specifically helping in ways related to a degree in Biology (in clinics, etc.).

While academics are a top priority for me, I strive to maintain a balanced life-style. Outside the classroom, I take an interest in planning events and want to continue this as a member of OSU’s student government. In high school, I was a student researcher for OSU’s CAPS center (2015-2016) and Nationwide Children’s Hospital (2016-2017). Both of these research opportunities consisted of research in dry labs. At OSU, I hope to obtain a different research experience in order to better understand the field of research. Aside from research and student government, community service has been a part of my lifestyle for years and I hope to be a part of an organization that helps women and children around the world. Through these experiences, I strive to become a more well-rounded person and take advantage of all the opportunities OSU has to offer, both inside and outside the classroom! 🙂