DSI Showcase – Texas Abortion Law

Something that has really been catching my attention recently is the new law in Texas regarding abortion. This law empowers private citizens to sue anyone that they suspect of providing or aiding an abortion. This includes anyone from clinic employees to counselors to doctors to anyone involved in transporting someone to obtain an abortion. Many people worry that this law may be somehow targeting people of color, according to an article in the 19th News.

Data from 2014 shows that people of color added up to about 62 percent of abortions that year. African Americans, Native Americans, and Latinos are also disproportionately affected by hardships financially. This means that they may not have as many resources or flexibility to leave Texas for a legal abortion. These factors show that people of color are now most likely living in fear on how this new law can be used against them, and some believe that this law is a tool to threaten and harass individuals. Research indicates that Black and Latino families are more likely to be investigated and reported by child protective services, and this just goes to show how much targeted surveillance and violence continues even today.

Since this new law, there have been websites allowing people to anonymously report doctors, clinics, etc. that have been suspected of helping with abortions. These websites have since been removed for violating privacy guidelines, but it portrays what the future of Texas’s restrictions may look like if this law remains in place. Someone who successfully sues someone over an abortion is awarded at least $10,000 and gets their legal fees reimbursed. As a result, abortion providers now deny care to anyone over 6 weeks pregnant. Since Native Americans and Latinos are more likely to be investigated, this instills even more fear upon them.

Another big issue with this new law is that it can create an environment of fear for pregnant women and the people they interact with. This is because many of these women are scared to talk about their needs with their loved ones, because they may fear that they do not have the same opinion as them. This sort of goes along with the “othering” theory because these women who want or need abortions may be judged or even sued for doing so.

All these things show that law is definitely systemic injustice, not only for people of color, but also anyone who is in need of an abortion. I do not think that this law should stay in place because women should be able to have an abortion without the fear of getting sued. Also, people are going to have abortions either way, even if it was illegal.

https://19thnews.org/2021/09/texas-abortion-law-people-of-color/

3 thoughts on “DSI Showcase – Texas Abortion Law

1. Coming from someone who is extremely pro-choice, I loved your post! I never even thought about doing abortion laws for one of these diaries, but you are exactly right, it is a systemic injustice. I think it is interesting you connected it to the othering because these women would be judged by society if this goes into effect. Hopefully, it does not and women remain being able to have bodily autonomy.

2. Hello! I loved your post! This is a topic I did not choose for one of my diary entries, but I really wish I did! This is most definitely systemic injustice and I love how you connected it to the concept we’ve learned in class.

3. Hello! I loved your post as this is something that I am very passionate about. I’ve always been extremely pro-choice and I know that Texas has made these laws that are taking away the rights of women. What I didn’t know much about, is how disproportionately people of color are affected by this. That being said, i’m glad I got to read this as it was very eye opening. Great post!