Context Presentation – The Story of My Body

In The Story of my Body by Judith Ortiz Cofer she talks about how the way she looked at herself image changed when she moved from Puerto Rico to America. She touched on 4 major aspects about herself, skin, color, size, and looks. She went into excruciating detail about each of these attributes and how she deemed each of them a flaw because of the way the people around her reacted to them. In this short presentation, I am going to expand on the stories that Ortiz talked about by tieing them into the male side of this coin.

With this coin flip in mind, one will need to remember Ortiz’s stories are based in the mid-1900s when the world was for the most part different than we see it today. Now the first trait I want to touch on is skin color. Back in the 50s and 60s, southern schools were slowly integrating whites with blacks and other minorities. This is shown on page 440 where Ortiz mentions that she is one of 3 minorities and the only Peurto Rican in her school of 2,000. That is a .015% minority enrollment, contrast that to days 95.5% minority enrollment

6 thoughts on “Context Presentation – The Story of My Body

1. This was a very interesting write up. I find the enrollment % change from 1900 to now is crazy, and I am very happy to see that it increased that much. I wonder which parts of the country have the highest minority enrollment % vs the lowest?

2. I liked reading your Context Presentation. Where did you find the information on enrollment percents? It is extremely interesting to see how they compare and they have changed. Overall, your post is short but very good!

3. Hi, I really enjoyed reading your context presentation The Story of My Body. I like that you made a point to discuss that while she talked about the four major aspects of herself she also talked about how the people around her felt about them. This played a hug part in the reading that we did about Cofer. The facts that you included about then and now really made us think about how thing were and while we still have issues with these subjects, how they have changed overtime.

4. Hi! I really enjoyed your post from this week. I was absolutely astonished by the statistic you gave to us about the diversity in our schools. One of the reasons that I really wanted to attend Ohio State was their diversity. This campus has people from all over the world. The classes we offer to educate us about other cultures amaze me. It saddens me that the author was stripped of this during the time she was receiving her education.

5. Hi! I enjoyed reading your context presentation. It is very interesting how you brought up the enrollment change and it is fascinating to see how much it has changed over the years.

6. Hi! Thank you for your context presentation. I am pleased you showed the change in enrollment! I wonder how this compares to other schools and parts of the country?