In this issue:
- 2022 4-H Calendar
- Jr. Fair Awards Recap and Photo link
- Thank You Note Reminder
- End of 4-H Year Survey
- 4-H Honor Awards
- Camp Counselor Applications – Due October 7
- Junior Fair Board applications – Due November 1
- 4-H Trip Scholarships – Due December 1
- State Opportunities
- Teen Leadership Council Applications – due August 12
- Achievement Awards for Project Areas
Upcoming Events: View the full calendar here
The 2022 4-H calendar is available here: https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/4-h-calendar
**2023 4-H calendar will be coming soon this fall! Watch for details to set dates EARLY on your calendar!
- August 1 – 4-H Committee Meeting, 6:30pm
- August 3 – Junior Fair Board (6pm)/Senior Fair Board (7pm) Meetings
- August 12 – Ohio 4-H Teen Leadership Council applications due to State Office
- September 5 – Office Closed, Labor Day
- September 7 – Senior Fair Board Meeting
- September 20-22 – Farm Science Review
- September 30 – 4-H End of Year Awards Due!: Honor Club, Community Service, Jr. and Teen Honor Member, Outstanding 4-H member, Cloverbud, Volunteer honor award, and Friend of 4-H nominations
- October 3 – 4-H Committee Meeting
- October 5 – Senior Fair Board Meeting
- October 7 – Camp Counselor Applications Due
- November 1 – Junior Fair Board Applications Due
Jr. Fair Awards Recap
***FAIR RESULTS are available online at: www.go.osu.edu/madcofairresults22
- Jr. Show results are linked online at https://madisoncounty.fairentry.com/Fair/Results/16804
- Special Interest Awards and Miscellaneous contest results are linked online here: https://madison.osu.edu/sites/madison/files/imce/Fair/2022/2022%20Special%20Interest%20Awards.pdf
- If anyone missed the awards, they can pick up their ribbons at the Extension Office
- Livestock Showmen of Showmen, Royalty, Ambassadors, Livestock Judging, etc. can be found here: https://madison.osu.edu/sites/madison/files/imce/Fair/2022/2022%20Showmen%20Awards%20and%20other%20Fair%20Awards%20.pdf
- Cake Decorating Contest results: https://madison.osu.edu/news/madison-county-fair-cake-decorating-contest
***FAIR PHOTOS: Please follow the link to the fair collections — you can download from each collection or individual pictures. Click on a picture and the download button is above it with a line and arrow: https://lindseykrebs.passgallery.com/-fair2022
Thank You Notes – DO IT!
Have you written your thank you notes yet? It is SO IMPORTANT to send a hand written thank you note to the people that helped with your project!
- Your project buyer (livestock and special interest) – You can view the addresses for most buyers at https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/madison-county-fair
- Your 4-H advisors
- Friends/Family that assisted with your project
- Senior Fair Board/Junior Fair Volunteers, Livestock Committee, etc.
- Award Donors! (If you still haven’t picked up your showmanship award, these are available in our office!)
Need help writing a thank you note? Check out this great resource!: How To Write a Thank You Note!
End of Year Survey – Give Us Your Feedback (Volunteers AND 4-H Families!)
We know this year has been difficult and you’ve had to modify in many ways to complete the 4-H year. We appreciate your support and dedication to the Madison County 4-H Program. As we find ways to make the best better, please complete this survey to help us do that. Remember this is your opportunity to voice opinions and make recommendations – Any feedback provided will remain confidential but may be used to improve the 4-H program.
To complete the survey by October 1, visit www.go.osu.edu/MadCo4HEval or click this link directly: https://osu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_b8dMlbDhlT5QGRo
Thank you for helping us continue to make the best better in Madison County! As always, if you have questions or are interested in volunteering to help make a program better, contact our office!
4-H Honor Awards – Due September 30th
Honor member awards and other volunteer/club awards are due September 30. It is easy to complete! It is a simple points system for activities they have done as 4-H members!
You can find all the applications here: https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/forms-and-applications
Please complete the forms and return to your club advisors before the 30th so they can turn them in and confirm for you. Awards are announced at the 4-H Banquet in December
Volunteers: be sure to fill out your honor award too! Same thing – points system for the work you have already done as a volunteer!
We are also looking for Outstanding Member nominations and Friend of 4-H Nominations. Check out the above link for more information or contact our office!
4-H Camp Counselor Applications – DUE OCTOBER 7
Applications are due October 7 and are AVAILABLE NOW at www.go.osu.edu/madco4hcampcounselor. Contact the Extension Office if you have questions!
We are in need of several counselors! More counselors = more kids we can take to camp! We especially need MALE counselors! 20 counselors is our goal!
You do not have to have gone to camp before to be a counselor – just need to like kids! Counselors meet around 8-10 times a year starting in February and plan the entire camp week in June!
Please share and encourage your high school members to apply (must be 14 by January 1, 2023 to apply – mature 8th graders are also welcome!). You do not have to be in 4-H currently to apply – camp counselors can take camp counseling as their project for the year!
Junior Fair Board Applications – Due November 1
Applications for the 2023 Junior Fair Board will be due November 1. Check www.go.osu.edu/madcoJFB for the application! Contact the Extension Office if you have questions!
JFB is open to all high school 4-H/FFA members – not just for those enrolled in livestock projects! We need all project areas represented and all clubs! Our goal this year is to have at least one from each club apply!
JFB members meet about 5-7 times a year and plan various Jr. Fair activities, select awards, organize and work the livestock shows and misc. events, etc.
Trip Scholarships – Due December 1 or ASAP
What: For any youth in 4-H to submit to attend 4-H related trips or opportunities, such as statewide camps, 4-H conference, CWF and LWF, and more! Trips are funded by the county 4-H committee or endowment funds, either partial or fully funded depending on the opportunity and cost.
Deadline: Due December 1 OR with proper notice before the event to allow time to committee review and registration (6 weeks before registration is due)
The following opportunities must have a trip scholarship filled out: Carving New Ideas, State Shooting Sports Camp, State Leadership Camp, Ohio 4-H Conference, Buckeye Leadership Workshop, Citizenship Washington Focus, Leadership Washington Focus, Sea Camp, and any other paid/selection type opportunity.
STATE 4-H OPPORTUNITIES
Be sure to check Ohio4H.org for the most recent state 4-H information and follow the “Ohio State – 4-H Youth Development” Facebook page!
Stay Connected! – ohio4h.org/stayconnected
Now more than ever it’s time for 4-H’ers to make the best better! While youth are at home and staying safe, we still want you to stay connected. Below are links to activities for youth and resources for volunteers. Check back frequently for additional links and program updates!
Teen Leadership Council – Applications due August 12!
Applications and more information to be an Ohio 4-H Teen Leadership Council (TLC) member for the 2022-23 program year are now available online at: go.osu.edu/TLC. Please note: online applications (and other materials, including letters of recommendation and program fees) are due by Friday, August 12, 2022.
The Ohio 4-H Teen Leadership Council (TLC) is a statewide group of 4-H teens and young 4-H alumni that provides a youth stakeholder perspective in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of Ohio 4-H programming. In this process, council members develop knowledge, skills, attitudes, and aspirations needed for future success. Council members share advice and recommendations to 4-H professionals in order to improve, strengthen, and expand the Ohio 4-H program. Members also make recommendations regarding opportunities for Ohio 4-H teen programming. They serve as a sounding board for Ohio 4-H program direction.
Achievement Awards for Project Areas
These awards recognize achievements in specific 4-H project areas.
Areas include: Beef, CARTEENS, Citizenship & Community Service, Creative Arts, Clothing & Textiles, Communications, Companion Animals, Dairy, Environmental Sciences, Family Life & Child Development, Foods & Nutrition, Gardening & Horticulture, Health & Safety, Horse, Leadership, Goats, Llama Mechanical Engineering Sciences, Personal Development, Photography, Poultry, Rabbits, Sheep, Shooting Sports, Swine, Woodworking, and Veterinary Science.
Award recipients receive a trip to National 4-H Congress in Atlanta, Georgia. Complete the Ohio 4-H Achievement Record (must follow guidelines listed on the application regarding font and formatting). Applicants must be at least 14 years old and currently enrolled in 4-H.
This application is also required for those interested in Ohio State Junior Fair Board and the Township Association scholarship.
Please contact Frances if you are interested in applying for these awards.
Deadline: December 1st to Madison County Extension Office