Artifacts

It is not so much the pen itself that is the artifact, but the person who gave it and the act of giving it.

I am part of an organization for Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh (HSS), a volunteer non-profit, non-governmental organization that is one of the biggest in the world. We deal with problems ranging from all over the social sphere from poverty, natural disasters, environmental problems and minority rights. Because it is such a big organization involved in many things, we require a lot of volunteers, not only part-time, but full time as well. Therefore, we have full-time volunteers that have left their families and their personal goals and desires to work for the greater good. One such volunteer, who I cannot name, is an international supervisor, so he travels the world, helping conduct activities for the different social issues we work for. I have known him ever since I have been 7-8 years old and he has seen me grow up. Throughout my life, he stood as inspiration for me, as the epitome of discipline, leadership, and sacrifice. He has dedicated his life to make the world a better place and is compete fine with not receiving any recognition or credit for his work. For many people, he doesn’t have much, but for him, he has more than what he needs. The members of HSS are family to him and doing what he does makes him happy, and he insists that he needs nothing more. I can still not forget the day he gave me that pen. For many, including him, it was just a pen, but for me, it is much more than just that, simply because he is the one that gave it to me. Whenever I write with I am constantly reminded of him and his character. It serves me as a reminder to constantly fight for what I believe in and to continuously strive to be a better version of my self for the sake of societal help. Its presence suggests  that I am working for a cause much greater than myself and that I have to seek a greater cause in everything that I do. It reminds to stay motivated and passionate about the things I love. It might not be the best pen out there, but it has far exceeded its job of being just a pen, and it will continue to do so throughout my entire life.