Columbus To-Do List

Part I

For my Columbus To-Do List, I have chosen the ice cream and desserts list. I chose this list because desserts are generally cheaper than full meals in the local food favorites section. I also chose ice cream and desserts over the nature and outdoor recreation list because winter is approaching soon! I am looking forward to exploring Columbus and its neighboring communities. Along with that, I am looking forward to finding some local shops to enjoy dairy free desserts! Being lactose intolerant on campus often limits my food options. My goal for this to-do list is to find some local places to take my friends from other schools when they come to visit. I would also like to get more comfortable using the COTA bus system.

One experience I have had so far is visiting Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams for my first time. Jeni’s had a few dairy free options for me to choose from. I ended up getting a single scoop of dark chocolate truffle ice cream. This flavor is made with coconut cream so it is dairy free! While this ice cream was a little expensive, it was arguably the best ice cream I have ever had. The chocolate flavor was so rich and I could not tell this flavor was dairy free at all. I would highly recommend Jeni’s to a friend. The shop has a nice seating area in the back that is quiet. I might try going to Jeni’s in the future for a nice off campus place to study, with a bonus of ice cream for when I’m done.

Part II

Another experience I have had this semester is visiting Rocket Fizz Candy Shop. I took the COTA bus line 2 with my friend Ryan to get there. We went right after scholars class! Rocket Fizz was not at all what I expected when I got there. The shop is small, but packed with candy, soda, and posters from floor to ceiling. I enjoyed walking around and looking at all the different candy and soda flavors. There were some crazy soda flavors like bacon and key lime pie. I chose to stick with a slightly more traditional flavor with watermelon soda. To compliment my soda, I picked one of my favorite candies as a kid; Runts. On the way back to campus, Ryan and I opted to walk instead of taking the bus. I had a lot of fun seeing all the local shops and restaurants the Short North area has to offer. I learned that Columbus has a Condado Tacos restaurant on the way back from Rocket Fizz. Condado Tacos is very similar to Barrio back home in Cleveland. I would recommend Rocket Fizz to a friend if you’re looking for something new and different. Rocket Fizz has more candy and soda to offer than I ever would have imagined.

My final experience for my to-do list this semester was taking a visit to Pattycake Bakery. Pattycake Bakery is a pretty small shop compared to Jeni’s ice cream and Rocket Fizz. However, Pattycake Bakery is an all vegan shop! I could choose any dessert in the bakery without having to worry about it containing dairy. With that being said, it was also a little expensive for my taste. However, just like Jeni’s ice cream, the banana walnut muffin I ate was fantastic. I also learned how to use the COTA bus system much better on this trip. I learned that you can text a number at each bus stop to see when the next bus will come. I am confident I can get around Columbus with minimal walking after this trip. On my way home from the bakery, I also learned Columbus has a Goodwill store! Of course, I stopped by to check it out. I ended up finding a cool Ohio State Hawaiian shirt for my brother. I would definitely recommend Pattycake Bakery to a friend. If you are vegan, lactose intolerant, or have a dairy allergy, Pattycake Bakery is the place to be.