It was just announced that the Board of Trustees officially promoted Dr. Ludsin from Associate Professor to Professor at their May 30 meeting. See the Office of Academic Affairs announcement.
We are very excited for Dr. Ludsin as he continues to advance in his career!
Stu toured many Columbus venues this week with American Fisheries Society personnel and staff from Experience Columbus to help plan events for the 2020 American Fisheries Society Conference in Columbus. The group visited various hotels, the Franklin Park Conservatory, COSI, Express Live, the Columbus Zoo, and North Market.
Stu spoke on climate change for the Dublin Rotary Club this month. The talk was well received, though one it did prompt one attendee to ask, “Do you have any good news?” Stu responded that because humans caused climate change, we have the capacity to change our ways to work to mitigate it.
Andrew Bade presented at talk titled, Spawning site fidelity of the Lake Erie walleye, at the 2019 GLATOS Coordination Meeting on February 26 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
He also published part of his dissertation work in the Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences:
Bade, A.P., T.R. Binder, M.D. Faust, C.S. Vandergoot, T.J. Hartman, R.T. Kraus, C.C. Krueger, and A. Ludsin. in press. Sex-based differences in spawning behavior account for male-biased harvest in Lake Erie walleye (Sander vitreus). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 76(11):2003-2012. doi.org/10.1139/cjfas-2018-0339
Annual Lake Erie and Inland Waters Research Review was held December 13-14 at the Ohio Union. Ordinarily this meeting would occur in January or February, but this year was moved up to December due to scheduling conflicts.
Researchers and agency officials from across the state came together to share the latest updates on fisheries research in Ohio. The keynote speaker was Lars Rudstam of Cornell University.
Stu presented for the Rotary Club at the Boat House Restaurant in Confluence Park. He spoke on climate change with a focus on impacts in Ohio.
Luke Bobay presented at the 2018 Autumn Undergraduate Research Festival. His poster was titled, Toward examining climate effects on yellow perch recruitment: How do Lake Erie larval yellow perch diets vary within a spring?
Dr. Ludsin’s students have been busily sharing their work this summer!
PhD students Cory Becher, Rebecca Dillon, and David Dippold all attended and presented at the American Fisheries Society conference in Atlantic City, NJ, August 12-23.
- Cory Becher, Otolith microchemistry as a tool to understand contributions of stocked fish in reservoir populations, a case study with channel catfish
- Rebecca Dillon, Hypoxia alters spatial overlap of primary and secondary consumers in the pelagic food web of reservoirs
- David Dippold, Environmental drivers of Lake Erie walleye harvest
And on September 12, PhD student Andrew Bade presented a talk, Understanding walleye movement in Lake Erie using acoustic telemetry, at the OSU Marine Biology Club “Under the Sea” meeting.
Stu shared his research with the public and with OSU students in two different talks this fall.
- Old North High School Boys Club – Stu presented on the climate change for nearly 70 members of this club in Clintonville
- EEOB Seminar Series – Stu gave a talk titled, “The future of harmful algal blooms and their risks to fisheries: Insights from Lake Erie.”
A raft of new publications from Dr. Ludsin:
- Blawut, B., B. Wolfe, C.R. Moraes, A. Ludsin, and M.A. Coutinho da Silva. 2018. Increasing saugeye (S. vitreus × S. canadensis) production efficiency in a hatchery setting using assisted reproduction technologies. Aquaculture 495:21-26. doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2018.05.027
- Chen, K.Y., E.A. Marschall, M.G. Sovic, A.C. Fries, H.L. Gibbs, and A. Ludsin. 2018. assignPOP: An R package for population assignment using genetic, non‐genetic, or integrated data in a machine‐ learning framework. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 9:439-446. doi.org/10.1111/2041-210X.12897
- Glaspie, C.N, M. Clouse, A.T. Adamack, Y. Cha, A. Ludsin, D.M. Mason, M.R. Roman, C.A. Stow, and S.B. Brandt. 2018. Effect of hypoxia on diet of Atlantic bumpers in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 147: 740-748. doi.org/10.1002/tafs.10063
- Hu, C., A. Ludsin, J.F. Martin, E. Dittmann, and J. Lee. 2018. Mycosporine-like amino acids (MAAs)—producing Microcystis in Lake Erie: Development of a qPCR assay and insight into its ecology. Harmful Algae 77:1-10. doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2018.05.010