Hello 4-H Families,
As we get back to some kind of normal this summer I find it exciting to think about the things we enjoy most about 4-H, SUMMER! Fair, Camp, State Fair, just to name a few of the things we can do this year. This newsletter has some important updates and guidelines to how we can get on with our summer. I hope everyone has a great summer and I hope to see everyone around the different programs this year!
Lucas County 4-H Camp
- When: July 22-25
- Where: 4-H Camp Palmer, Fayette OH
- More details: http://lucas.osu.edu/4HCamp
Keep an eye out for registration in the coming weeks. Open to ANY youth ages 8-14, you DO NOT have to be in 4-H to go to camp so invite your friends!
Lucas County Family & Consumer Science Summer Classes
Patrice Powers-Barker, Lucas County FCS Educator, is now scheduling both virtual and in-person summer classes/seminars. Below is a list of options:
- The Basics of Canning
- Canning Salsa
- Transitions for Post Pandemic Plans
- Introduction to Mindfulness
- Declutter Your Living Space
- Designing a Household Spending Plan
- Gardening as a Self Care Practice (springtime)
- Fall Vegetable Garden (June and July)
Contact Patrice at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
OSU Emerging Adulthood Health Project
Lucas County Teens (age 15-24) are invited to take part in a study about their overall health. The study is entirely online and people who participate can earn up to $55 in Amazon gift cards. We of course get parent/guardian permission before enrolling minors. Participation in the cohort also makes you eligible for additional paid studies, both in person and online. Interested youth (or their parents) can take a screener survey to let us know they’re interested and see if they’re eligible. The link is also below.
Lucas County Fair Parade
The parade will line up at the Key St. entrance (map to follow) and proceed through the Fairgrounds and end up at the entertainment tent for the opening ceremony. Specific details will be provided as we get closer. The Fair will be open on Monday this year so we should have spectators to cheer you on. All clubs/groups are encouraged to participate!
Individuals may participate – decorate your horse, cow, pig, goat, classic car, antique car, etc….
The theme this year is Race to the Finish #Fair Strong
Check out the “Forms” section at the top to download and fill out the parade form *due June 15th*
Lucas County Extension Horticulture Hotline
Have questions about plants, flowers, turf, or landscaping? Call the Lucas County Extension Horticulture Hotline and be in touch with trained professionals to diagnose your problem or answer any questions you might have about all things related to horticulture.
- April-October, Monday-Wednesday, 10:00am-1:00pm
- Phone: 419-578-6783
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://lucas.osu.edu
- Facebook: @OSUExtensionLucasCounty
BOGS Design A Boot Contest
Design your own @4-H boots! Enter your 4-H inspired design into the BOGS Design a Boot Contest for a chance to have your own custom art chosen and its pattern reproduced on a limited-edition @bogsfootwear boot! Learn more and submit your design by 6/1 at https://bit.ly/3uXG985.
Ohio State Fair Livestock Update
The 2021 Ohio State Fair Livestock department rules have been posted at: https://ohiostatefair.com/agriculture-livestock/livestock/
The swine department has several rules that will be important to youth exhibiting at the 2021 Ohio State Fair. Their rules are also attached:
- We will be a ractopamine free fair.
- THERE MAY BE TESTING FOR RACTOPAMINE AT ALL SESSIONS
- Exhibitor Affidavit for the Market Barrow Show will be required
- Market Barrows will be required to have an 840 Tag. We prefer that they be the EID (Electronic Identification) 840 Tags but will accept non-EID this year.
- These should be placed in the pig from the breeder they originate from, if possible, please have them placed in the RIGHT EAR.
- If you do not have one, you will want to work with your local vet.
- All swine must be tagged with an 840 tag.
- All exhibitors must have a premise ID (this is based on the location the pigs were raised, so the same premise ID will cover all siblings).
- Please go to https://agri.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/oda/divisions/animal-health/animal+id/premise-registration-form-fillable840 tags or getting a premise ID, please talk to your veterinarian.
- All Market Exhibitors will be required to enter parent/guardian PQA Certification ID# at the time of entry.
- Remember, if the parent/guardian completed this last year, they are good for 3 years and can use the certification ID# they received last year (or within 3 years)
- If they need to be certified, an PQA trainer can enroll them in the FREE, online course (I am happy to enter those that need it, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- SESSION 3 – MARKET BARROWS (Partial Terminal Show-ONLY GRAND &RESERVE BARROWS ARE TERMINAL)
- All other barrows are the responsibility of the exhibitor and must be removed from the fairgrounds after the show.
- A market is not available in 2021
For questions on these rule updates, please contact the OSF swine department at: email@example.com
The Ohio State Fair Non-Livestock Update
Plans are coming together for the state level 4-H project judging July 28-August 6. Most of the judging activities will occur in the Lausche Building, with a few being moved to the 4-H Center on campus.
Click here to view the revised judging schedule for 2021 Non-Livestock Projects. Updates will soon be made to the guidebook pages to reflect the change in dates and include current COVID-19 restrictions.
Camp Canopy 2021 is happening June 13-18!
- Camp Canopy is open to students who are currently finishing 8th grade through those graduating in 2021.
- The cost of camp is $375, but there is often financial assistance available through Soil and Water Conservation Districts, Garden and Conservation Clubs, OFA Members, Regional Woodland Interest Groups and more.
- Camp Canopy is held at Ohio FFA Camp Muskingum, located on beautiful Leesville Lake in Carroll County Ohio.
For more information and to register visit CampCanopy.com or call the Ohio Forestry Association at 888-388-7337
Carving New Ideas
Collegiate 4-H invites you to save October 29-30-31 for a Halloween-themed Carving New Ideas at 4-H Camp Ohio. For our newer professionals, C4H hosts this overnight leadership camp for older teens. And of course, it will hinge on health regulations at the time. More details about CNI will follow later this year.