Sophomore Year in Review

Looking back to the beginning of this year, I cannot believe how far I have come. I have grown a lot academically and professionally. This year I got to take my first public health courses. It was exciting to start learning about what I am getting a degree in. I have learned so many skills from these classes. I also took challenging science classes like organic chemistry and I learned a lot about how to study from these classes.

Outside of the classroom I got more involved and grew a lot from those experiences. I joined a Christian sisterhood on campus called Kappa Phi. In this group I made some amazing friends and grew so much in my faith. I also got more involved in the public health community. I got a new job that has taught me so much about public health outreach. I also had the opportunity to travel to Washington, DC and learn about public health and policy. It was an amazing experience to interact with lawmakers, learn about public health jobs in federal government, and meet so many amazing people in public health.

This has also been a year of personal growth for me and a year to grow my leadership skills. I have had the opportunity to take on multiple leadership positions. I am now the Social Media Manager for the Public Health Student Leadership Council, and the President of Kappa Phi. I’ve been so excited to learn from these experiences, and I’m so excited to continue to grow in these experiences next year. So many of the things I have accomplished this year are because of this program and the opportunities it provided.