Semester in Review

Academics

I cannot believe that my first semester is coming to an end. So much has changed since I arrived on campus back in August. When I started I was very nervous that I would have a hard time adjusting to my classes. I came from a very small high school and had grown used to class sizes of less than 15 people. However, I almost instantly became aware of all the academic resources that OSU has to offer and they have helped me succeed in my much larger classes. I started the semester by visiting the Younkin Success Center and discussing with a councilor the best ways to study. I didn’t stop there, I continually attend my professors’ office hours and take advantage of the Learning Resource Center in Celeste. All of these things have helped me adjust rigor of my new classes.

Campus Involvement

I was also nervous when I arrived on campus about making new friends. I had grown very close to my friends back home, and many of them I have known since preschool! I was worried about finding a place to fit in on this big campus. This scholars program definitely helped ease my anxiety.  I’m so grateful that I was surrounded by a group of people with similar goals and interests as me. The involvement fair was also an important part of my transition. It was there that I found the three clubs I am active in now Partnering up for Pets (PUP), Partners in Health Engage, and MEDLIFE. All of these clubs have introduced me to people and opportunities and experiences that I love and make me excited to for the future. For example, I started walking dogs at the Franklin County animal shelter, and I am extremely excited to go on a medical brigade to Peru in a little over a month with other members of MEDLIFE. Overall this semester has taught me that I am surrounded by opportunities to help me excel and all I have to do is use them.