Thoughts on Stonehenge

I loved Stonehenge! I thought the site, visitors center included, was done very tastefully and I think the sustainability aspect was really nice. We were so lucky to have gotten there early enough where there weren’t too many crowds. I thought the stones were beautiful and the moss and coloring/discoloring of the stones were very interesting. I was lucky enough to be standing next to a tour guide who told me about “graffiti” on the stones and how they knew they were not from this area. I thought it was specifically interesting that, before the commercialization and tourism, people from that area could go to them as one would go to a park, without knowing their importance.

Sketching the stones was very difficult but it helped me to better understand their organization and coloring.

Sketch at Stonehenge

Stonehenge.

3 thoughts on “Thoughts on Stonehenge

1. Hey, Ellie! I thought it was really nice that we got there early enough to see the stones before many other groups began to arrive. I never knew there was any sort of “graffiti” on the stones to help know where the stones originated. It’s really crazy to think that people used to visit the stones without even realizing the history behind them. I was very excited to see the stones, and surprisingly they were larger than I expected. I knew the stones were incredibly heavy and large, but I didn’t imagine them being that massive. It was definitely a beautiful place to visit and fun to sketch.

2. Hey Ellie! I love your Stonehenge sketch and the attention that you put into the shading of the rocks! I really did like the moss on the rocks and specifically the heel stone, the heel stone had a lot more crevices and moss than I expected. The stones were a lot smaller than what I expected and I wish that I would have brought my sketchbook to analyze the rocks even better! The commercialization was also another interesting thing to think about. I kinda wish that we had enough time to walk all the way around the other rocks. It would have been interesting to have seen the entire town, with all of the rock areas.