Carrick’s first day (reposted)

Exploring the Barbican complex was an enlightening experience. In incorporating all aspects of architecture, landscape, and urban planning, the Barbican showcased itself as a successful development of the post World War II housing era, which was interesting to behold since such successful projects are few and far between. It was also interesting to see the brutalist style in contrast with the verdure. The green was able to bring out the natural qualities of each structures materiality, in my opinion, and present the complex as more of a community, bringing the residents out into the public spaces, specifically with the central court illustrated in the picture. Along with that, the civic purposes further added to this aspect of community, which completes the complex and make it an extraordinary place to visit to actually see a successful post war housing area utilizing architecture, landscape architecture, and urban planning; one that I myself would even be up for living in!

One thought on “Carrick’s first day (reposted)

1. I also loved having the opportunity to visit Barbican Centre. Barbican was my first introduction to the Brutalist style of architecture and I absolutely fell in love with it, though I understand why so many people hate it.
    I agree with you that the designers of Barbican masterfully fused together a combination of housing and civic space that truly creates a one of a kind living environment. I would be very interested in touring Barbican even more as I would like to get a deeer understanding the community. I think that it would be a very interesting experience to live in this area due to the thin line between living space and civic space.