St. Paul’s Cathedral Sketch

St. Paul’s Cathedral was one of the most beautiful buildings I had ever been. There were so many intricate details everywhere. I felt overloaded at times with all the detail. What stuck out to me right a way were the pair of crosses made in such a unique style. I could instantly read from the crosses that they were representing some kind of destruction. Upon further reading of the description, I learned the one I sketched was a way of commemorating World War I. I definitely thought this was something I’d want to sketch, but I wanted to think a bit beyond what I physically saw. This translated into the curved lines, seen coming from the projecting structured I interpreted as bombed buildings, as the fire and smoke that could be seen soon after the structure was bombed. I think the crosses themselves do not go with all the “old” of the cathedral, much like how war should not go with religion.

One thought on “St. Paul’s Cathedral Sketch

1. I am so happy someone did a sketch of this. St. Paul’s is so historic and such an icon I was kind of mesmerized by the fact that these two pieces had been shoved into the walls. It was a fascinating combination. Going off of that, even at the apse, and behind the main altar, there was text that contained remarks for the people from World War II which was both moving and wonderful. I appreciate that the church is seeing the spectacle that it is and using it as a museum to the people who defended it in all sorts of ways. The sketch is also wonderful. I admire the line work used when it came to the necessary details.