Global Engagement Night: Fashion Around the World, Tuesday October 8, 6pm-7pm

Fashion Around the World was put on by the Office of International Affairs in Enarson to expose students to different styles of fashion and what defines fashion across the globe.  The event began with the presentation of six different countries and how their fashion had evolved over the years.  Greece had four distinct fashion periods while Malaysia, Colombia, and El Salvador remained constant with their traditional dress.  Nigerian fashion is unique because of all of the vibrant colors and tribal patterns that make up their clothing, and the U.A.E. is also unique in the fact that their choice of clothing is very strict.  The women wear black and the men wear white, and the majority of their skin is covered by the traditional clothes they wear.

After learning about fashion specific to certain countries, we talked about the fashion capitals of the world, which are New York, Milan, Paris, London and Tokyo, and we watched a video compilation of these cities’ fashion weeks showcasing modern fashion trends.  Some of the current trends for women are biker shorts with oversized blazers, mirrored sunglasses, chunky tennis shoes (usually white), and mom jeans with crop tops.  At the end we had a fashion critique session where we gave our opinions as to whether or not we were in favor of a certain fashion trend, and it was really interesting to hear other points of view.

This event relates to international affairs because it showcased different fashion trends and customs globally, and it gave us a more well-rounded perspective on what fashion can mean in different parts of the world.  I really enjoyed this event because during my years leading up to high school, I was considering fashion and design as a career path.  Project Runway was one of my favorite shows growing up, and my dream was to study fashion and eventually be on that show.  Also, this event made me think of my sister, who I haven’t seen since I left for college, because one of our dreams is to take a vacation where we visit all of the fashion capitals of the world.  This event was very special to me, and I really enjoyed everything the presentation included.