Chicago Field Trip 2017

In the 2017 spring semester, a group of graduate students from the OSU Department of Art visited Chicago, Illinois with Professor Ann Hamilton to meet with SAIC professors and grad students and to visit the city and its art spaces.

Kellie Bornhoft (MFA 2019) writes, “The thing about traveling as a group in grad school is that it builds an experience in three directions. One, [on the Chicago trip] I was able to grow my index of artists and artworks through experience. The schedule was packed with meeting with curators, performances, classes, artists in their studios, and meeting other MFA students from other programs. It was clear to me that Ann worked very hard to build a thoughtful and full itinerary. Instead of just visiting a place, Ann contacted individuals to meet with us. I am thankful to have pages of notes from the trip that I could sift through afterward. Two, by experiencing art with the group we were able to critically reflect on the work we saw and continue the conversation after the trip. This sort of dialog will surely seep into our area critiques and studio visits. And three, a lot can be said for the opportunity of just being together. I had the opportunity to share meals, train rides, and drinks with people that I am around all the time but feel like I get too little time to be with.”

Chicago Field Trip Itinerary

Click images below to view as a slide show and see more information.