Book Review

The book I chose to read and review was Ms Ice Sandwich by Mieko Kawakami. This book was originally published in Japan but was recently translated into English and thus started selling in the United States. It was Mieko’s first book that was translated into English. The novel is about how a normal young schoolboy who lives with his mother outlines his infatuation for a woman who works in the sandwich making section of his local supermarket. In one quote, he talks about being mesmerized by her eyes by saying “Ms Ice Sandwich’s eyelids are always painted with a thick layer of electric blue, exactly the same colour as those hard ice lollies that have been sitting in our freezer since last summer.” (Pg. 10) The boy goes to the supermarket to buy a sandwich from her everyday just so he can see her and catch a glimpse. Another big part of the story was his grandmother. As a result of losing his dad when he was young, he is bracing himself for the inevitable eventual death of his grandmother and trying to figure out what his next steps will be. This point is illustrated when the young boy says “I think maybe Grandma’s going to die soon, and then she won’t be here anymore.  Sometimes when I find myself starting to think that way, I immediately try to stop it, but now I feel the thought slowly creeping out again.  I picture a dent in the pillow where her head used to be and I squeeze my eyes tight for a moment.  Grandma is sleeping.  Peacefully.  Her mouth is slightly open, she’s making little breathing noises.  Grandma who’s asleep and Grandma who’s going to die.  Are these the same Grandma?” (Pg. 49) For the reason that the grandma does not have that much time left the young boy spends a good amount of his free time in her room with her. While in his grandmother’s company he is often drawing sketches of Ms Ice Sandwich with a focus on her blue eyes. As the book goes on Ms Ice Sandwich becomes less perfect to the boy and or reader as a result of finding out more about her. The boys friend Tutti is pretty much the opposite of the boys crush but is very like him as she also lost a parent at a young age. He is oblivious to the fact that she likes him because of his infatuation with the women at the supermarket. This turn of events is ironic as the women at the supermarket to our knowledge doesn’t know about the crush the boy has on her. The wider world is seen only in glimpses which makes this book in my mind a stream consciousness of sorts. The book is a snapshot of the moment when a child takes a big step toward adulthood by exploring how he comes to terms with life’s biggest obstacles, love and death. Ms Ice Sandwich is a book I would recommend to you if you enjoy stories that deal with kids growing up and learning that when there is an end it is also the beginning of something new.

KAWAKAMI, MIEKO. MS ICE SANDWICH. PUSHKIN PRESS, 2017.