South Africa Global Health

SA

I went to South Africa for a global health elective during the beginning of my 3rd year of medical school. I went with ┬ámy fellow medical students and had a great time. I also learned a lot about HIV/AIDS as well as some rural medicine. This was my first glimpse into the world of global medicine. Going to South Africa really gave me a different perspective to a different health care system. Although South Africa had “modern” medicines and procedures, the access to the healthcare was not even. Those residing within the city center were able to to go the main teaching hospital to get modern health care, while villages just a few miles from the city had only access to make-shift clinics. The make shift clinics had only a handful of medicines and no diagnostic tests available. Everyone was treated using the shotgun approach.

This trip really sparked my interest in global health, especially as an emergency medicine resident. During my 4th year, I was able to go to honduras as part of PODEMOS. I subsequently rotated at Cho Ray Hospital in Ho Chi Mihn City, Vietnam. These all have formed a basis of valuable experience for me. I plan to make global health a part of my residency experience and also as a future career goal

I believe this artifact qualifies under LSI’s practice based and life-long learning. The experience has pushed me to continue seek opportunities to go abroad to learn and give medical care.