GOALS-Service

As service is one of the main tenets of the Honors and Scholars program, I made sure to get involved with substantial service throughout this year. Community Commitment was an event I participated in where we went to a local park in Columbus and picked up litter and helped to make the park more visually appealing. At the Garden of Hope, a garden project maintained on Ohio State’s campus, I worked with a team to prepare the garden for the winter season by pulling out weeds and roots. Another service event I worked at was at the Martin Luther King Day of Service, and my position was at COSI, a children’s science museum in Columbus. There, we cleaned activity sets for children to learn more about the world around them. Additionally, on weekends when I go home to Cincinnati, I volunteer at my church’s childcare. In this position, I attend to children for the duration of the church service so that their parents can listen to the sermon. I also went to a fundraiser for the Special Olympics Club at OSU, where we helped the club to raise money for later projects. Finally, I worked at a youth football camp the week of the NFL draft, and there I helped register and sign in children and direct them to where they needed to be during this camp. Service is such a vital part of the Honors and Scholars experience, and every event has helped me to feel closer to my community of Scholars here at Ohio State, as well as the overall area of Columbus.